Scenic village between Visp and Andermatt/Martigny

• shamik
    Participant
    19 posts
    6 June 2019 at 8:20:46 #822068

Hello again!

Me, my wife and 2.5 year old daughter will be in Zermatt during the middle of August and we will be having the STP. One of the days we plan to take regional trains from Zermatt on some scenic routes. We are looking for a scenic village anywhere between Visp and Andermatt or between Visp and Martigny. We would like to get down there, stroll around, have a leisurely lunch, take an easy hike and get back to Zermatt in the evening. Any suggestions?

Regards

Shamik

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 June 2019 at 0:42:11 #914311

Hello Samik,

This thread may give you some ideas – http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/most-scenic-way-to-train-from-zermatt-to-montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2019 at 0:46:28 #914312

I was in Visp for a week last month and went on the regional train several days running up the Rhone Valley in the Andermatt direction into what is known as the Goms region of Oberwallis (upper Valais). We looked at the scenery (as I have been doing in the same are since 1960…) and went for walks around the stations or between stations. All the villages are rather small and the valley is narrow so the number of level paths is limited, but some suggestions:

Münster (VS). A nice village in a wider green ‘bowl’

Niederwald (birth place of Cesar Ritz who ‘invented’ hotel tourism…). Incredible old buildings in the village centre

Fürgangen – Bellwald: if you can stomach it cross the hanging bridge across the River Rhone and walk to the Café Hängebrigga in Mühlebach for lunch

In the other direction, take the ‘RegionAlps’ local train to Salgesch. Nice village surrounded by vineyards

shamik
    Participant
    19 posts
    11 June 2019 at 3:52:30 #914313

Thank you Rockoyster and 1960man for your answers. They are most helpful!

Regards

Shamik

• The thread ‘Scenic village between Visp and Andermatt/Martigny’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.