Reserving Bernina Express with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 23:10:09 #816450

We have our Swiss Travel Passes, but are having trouble reserving seats for the Bernina Express Train from Chur to Tirano. Is it an extra charge to book seats w/this pass? Where do we go to books seats; on what website? We need these seats ASAP! Thx for help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2018 at 23:22:20 #887409

Hello Jerry and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can make reservations , which are an extra charge on top of the free travel offered by the Swiss Travel Pass, on the Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info.

If it is booked out already you can do the same trip on regional trains where no reservation required. The scenery is the same.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 June 2018 at 1:24:08 #887410

Hello again Jerry,

I forgot to mention that during the BEX booking process, after you put in passenger details (I think) you will come to a step where you can claim a fare reduction for Swiss Travel Pass so that the price you pay is purely for the seat reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 1:37:47 #887411

Thanks for info…when we booked date/# of people – 4 adults, the charge for the 4 seats, 2nd class, was $646.04. Sound right??

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 June 2018 at 1:47:09 #887412

No way. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass it should be CHF56 for 4 adults in total.

See attached.

Did you select Swiss Travel Pass in the reductions field? See second attachment.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 15:03:06 #887413

Tnx, Rocko, we reserved seats for BEX at Viator website, after starting from the BEX site. Is there a different staring site? We were not offered the screenshots you provided at the website where we were. Do we start at Swiss Travel Pass site? If so, where do we go from there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 15:11:32 #887414

Hi Jerry,

I’m not sure how you ended up at Viator from Rockoyster’s RHB link. It shouldn’t push you to Viator, and you will see his screenshots.

You can also book through Happy Rail or R ailEurope as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 16:55:45 #887415

Thx again for the info. We needed to start the purchase process to find the reduction. While paying we were denied trying to use our Visa and Master cards, and seats are filling up. I’ve got an email in to them. There’s a phone number to call…+41 (0)81 288 65 65. Is this an International call and will be charged $$$?

Also which phones/service works the best in EU?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 19:38:10 #887416

Hi Jerry,

Yes that is an international phone#. But they should reply to your email within a day. Alternatively you can try the other 2 companies I mentioned, where your credit card should work fine.

What do you mean by which phones / services work best in the EU?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 June 2018 at 21:03:17 #887417

Hi Lucas,

Jerry obviously went from here to here instead of direct to here. My original advice must not have been clear enough.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 15:11:19 #887418

Guys, we’re good to go! The credit card company declined charge till I verified validity.

I was wondering which Cell phone service works best in Switzerland. How’s coverage there? Any difference between Sprint or Verizon?

Thx

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 16:06:52 #887419

Ah ok. Well the coverage of local cell phone service is great. 🙂 I don’t know about American cell coverage in Switzerland though.

What I’d suggest is to get either a SimCard or a WiFi hotspot while you are here to avoid roaming.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/simcard

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 17:39:50 #887420

Just commenting on cell service: We have sprint in USA. We spent May in Italy and in Switzerland now in June. Sprint gives us free 3g service but it is often faster and good enough for gps and slow internet/email. Includes free texting. Phone calls are 20 cents/minute if using the cell service whether calling a Europe number or back to U.S. You can call using on-line services like FaceTime, WhatsApp, etc. for free if the person you are calling also has that app on their phone or pad. FaceTime worked pretty good for us even when not connected to WiFi but might fail if the cell service is a bit weak at your location. You may know that you can use FaceTime audio that does not need strong service like the FaceTime video requires. Skype lets you call landlines back in the U.s. and I assume in Europe for a few cents per minute if you have a skype account. The receiving end does not need a skype account. There may be other services like skype that also allow low cost calls to landlines. I just pay the 20 cents/minute on sprint since i use it rarely. Best to check the website of your cell provider or call their international number. Many talk of getting a SIM card or a phone while in Europe. I have never done that in 5 trips but a friend did and said he also had to get a new number with the phone but I am not sure if that is true with a temporary phone or SIM card. I ran up about $15 in landline calls at 20 cents per minute with sprint over 6 weeks but for free mostly used FaceTime or WhatsApp or texting.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 19:21:21 #887421

Thx for a wealth of info,Tfisch! We presently have a couple of Moto Android 16 gb phones. Wondering if we need a 32 gb Iphone while wandering around Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for 3 wks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2018 at 21:41:18 #887422

If you get a local SIM you get a local number.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2018 at 21:43:14 #887423

Why? To store more photos?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 0:41:41 #887424

Yes, we’ll be taking tons of pics of ALL the countries on our itinerary.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 June 2018 at 1:36:34 #887425

Well if your Android phones have decent cameras just get a stack of microSD cards to store them on as you go.

• The thread ‘Reserving Bernina Express with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.