Jungfraujoch and Rheinschlucht getting around

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 9:29:16 #817185

Hi. So I am going to be visiting Switzerland from 19 July to 21 July(2018). I am going to be arriving in the night on 19 July. I am planning to do Schilthorn first on 20 July as early as possible( I have heard that the tickets qre cheaper for sunrise) and then to Jungfraujoch on the same day. I am a 19 year old and don’t mind the day being hectic. Do you think that this is doable? Also I want to do the Swiss Grand Canyon on 21 July and Harder Klum on the same day, in the evening. How do I go about to do the Swiss Grand Canyon? Can you tell me about the routes and timings for it all. And if I need to buy tickets in advance for anything. I will be using My VISA card, so do I need to get my cash converted?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 16:41:45 #890961

Hi Varalikaa and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There is a Good Morning Ticket for Jungfraujoch where you can save money (not Schilthorn)

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets

You could have time to visit both mountains. you can plan out all your trips with the Swiss railways (SBB) timetable here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

You won’t have time for Harder Kulm and the Rheinschlucht (Swiss Grand Canyon I believe) in one day no. It is near the town of Flims (Interlaken to Films for example is about 4 hours.

Where are you staying?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 17:06:23 #890962

Ok

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 17:07:16 #890963

So can I do Schilthorn on the morning of 20 July and Jungfraujoch on 21 July morning, in order to avail the morning advantage of morning tickets? I do have a Swiss Travel pass and would like to do the Grand Canyon too. So which day’s later part shall I include the Canyon in and how do I reach there? I’m based at Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 23:32:54 #890964

It will take you all day from Interlaken to visit the Ruinaulta (the correct local spellling). It is in Graubünden canton.

Journey is around 3h45min each way via Bern, Zurich and Chur

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 6:23:40 #890965

The Good Morning Ticket is only for Jungfraujoch and you travel for free to Schilthorn with the Swiss Travel Pass (so you can go anytiime).

Your discount on the Good Morning Ticket saves you just a little money over your discount with the Swiss Travel Pass. I’d be tempted to go whenever the weather looks better.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Very long day from Interlaken to Ruinaulta. You can plan the trip with my timetable link on my earlier post to see if you can fit it in – it will be difficult – you’ll need a full day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 8:36:53 #890966

So do you suggest that I should skip Ruinaulta all together if I want to see one mountain on each of the mornings? I actually don’t want to miss the morning view of Schilthorn as I have heard that it is indeed very beautiful in the morning. And if I do skip Ruinaulta, what do you suggest that I should do. I want to explore more than just the mountains.

Arno
    15482 posts
    11 July 2018 at 9:05:47 #890967

Hi Varalikaa,

I also think that the Rhine gorge / Swiss Grand Canyon is too far away for such a short trip. If it is even possible you’ll be spending a lot of time in trains to get there. I once traveled by train to Versam-Safien to have a quick look and see more than just the 20 minutes or so if passing by on the train. It was nice since I was in the area anyway, but not worth that much traveling. You can either pass the gorge by train during good weather (which can’t be planned), or even better: spend at least a day in the area to hike. I would recommend to postpone this to a future trip, and make the most of the Bernese Oberland. There is plenty to see and do to enjoy yourself for weeks: hikes, boat trips, cable cars, cogwheel trains, castles, etc. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es for suggestions.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch and Rheinschlucht getting around’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.