Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch – best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2018 at 14:02:53 #817365

Hi everyone!

I’ll be heading to Interlaken tomorrow and I need some advice on the 2 mountains.

Here are the 2 options I have decided on:

1) Get Half Fare Card and Go up Jungfraujoch

2) Get 4 day Swiss Travel Pass and Go up Schlithorn

I understand that the best way to do it is to buy the tickets on the day itself to make sure the weather is good, but I will need to get the Half Fare Card or the Swiss Travel Pass the day before. The mountain which I choose to go up will determine which card/pass I should get.

Personally I have to say I would very much prefer to go up Jungfraujoch, but weather forecast has indicated rain and thunderstorm over the next few days sadly, and I do not wish to spend money for a foggy view. So with all that said I have 2 questions:

Would it be better for me to get the Swiss Travel Pass or the Half Fare Card?

Is it likely for the skies up in Jungfraujoch to be clear even though it might be raining in Interlaken?

Appreciate any advice given, thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2018 at 16:14:40 #891916

Hi sspTravel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The best rail pass for you depends on all the trips you may take in Switzerland. It isn’t just down to which 1 mountain you go to. I would guess you are going to more? or at least traveling around Switzerland more than just this one mountain trip?

A Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass) may be the cheapest option for you even if you use it to go to the Jungfraujoch. You need to take your overall itinerary into account.

For help choosing the best rail pass, you can use our spreadsheet and instructions on our page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass (but first plan out all your trips you will make in Switzerland, by train, bus, cable car or boat).

You can buy a rail pass tomorrow at a train station if you want to wait until then. Or you can buy it with HappyRail and they email you the pass within 30 minutes:

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2018 at 16:47:16 #891917

Hi Lucas!

That was a really helpful link. I did up the spreadsheet for my whole itinerary for both mountains respectively and here is my conclusion:

If I want to go up Jungfraujoch, it would be cheaper to get half fare card

If I want to go up Schlithorn, it would be cheaper to do it with Swiss Travel Pass

Is it possible for both mountains to have different weather conditions? I was just looking at the live view for both mountains a few hours ago. Schilthorn was cloudy but Jungfraujoch seems to be relatively clear.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 8:33:50 #891918

Yes for sure they will have different weather conditions at the top. Best to check on the day of travel before deciding.

How much cheaper is your entire trip with the Swiss Half Fare Card compared to the Swiss Travel Pass ?

If it isn’t a big difference I’d go with the Swiss Travel Pass as it is more convenient (in most situations you don’t need to buy tickets) and then pick the mountain that has the best weather on the day you want to go.

• The thread ‘Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch – best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.