Schilthorn or Titlis in Dec. from Lucerne as base

• mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    10 November 2019 at 6:13:43 #824420

Hi,

We’re from country tropical country and going to stay in Luzern 22-25 Dec. Which place is better / doable to visit to enjoy winter such enjoying the view, playing snow (not ice skating) between Schilthorn and titlis ? I’ve been to Titlis 2 years ago (may 2017) with my wife but we’re not so lucky because the weather was not good when we’re up there so we couldn’t enjoy the view.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 November 2019 at 7:41:41 #924895

Titlis I would say – for what you are looking to do. Also much more accessible from Lucerne then Schilthorn.

Having said that if you have not been to the Jungfrau region, then it is definitely worth a look.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 13:32:10 #924896

Hello mkaligis,

Welcome back to MySwissAlps!

Since you will be staying in Lucerne as your travel base, I would also suggest going to Titlis because it is closer in comparison to Schilthorn which is 90 kilometers away. As well, Titlis has amazing views on a clear day. In Schilthorn, there is not really a place where you can play in the snow. I will attach some links to help you decide:

Suggestions on activities while you are here:

Lucerne:

Titlis:

Schilthorn:

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    10 November 2019 at 14:55:04 #924897

Ok thanks for advice, I think titlis will be 1st and then schilthorn if there’s enough time.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    10 November 2019 at 15:02:24 #924898

Thanks and noted Suzanne. The links you share help me much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 17:09:33 #924899

Hello mkaligis,

You’re most welcome! Please write again if you have more questions.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2019 at 19:39:13 #924900

<<“I think titlis will be 1st and then schilthorn if there’s enough time.”>>

The SBB timetable will let you determine travel times:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    10 November 2019 at 22:50:04 #924901

We did both trips from Luzern one month ago. The fastest route takes about 1h 15 minutes to Titlis, and 3h 20m to Schilthorn, which makes for a very long day. We got out & walked around, in snow, at Titlis for a while, but there isn’t much to do at Schilthorn except go out on the big deck.

Pilatus(1h 10m) is also close to Luzern and at lower elevation, so keep it in mind, although walking around there is also limited.

Check the mountaintop weather cams for all of them before you go.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    14 November 2019 at 6:30:23 #924902

Thanks for your advice CabinJon.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    14 November 2019 at 6:33:10 #924903

So if I have to choose between rigi and Pilatus, which one is better ? After looking this url http://www.suisse-view.com/360/rigi/wint er/poi/kulm-en/ CMIIW, I think we can play snow ball up there as well.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    14 November 2019 at 12:50:42 #924904

We were at Rigi in October last year, and there were many hiking trails surrounding the train station at the top, unlike Pilatus. Since there was no snow at that time, I have no first hand experience on whether the Rigi trails are “open” during the winter, but the terrain at top was certainly much gentler than at Pilatus. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in and provide more detailed advice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 November 2019 at 14:25:13 #924905

Hi CabinJon-

Look here:

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/rigi%20kulm-2660093/

Slowpoke

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    14 November 2019 at 16:37:39 #924906

Slowpoke – Thanks. That’s a handy link for future trips. I’m a firm believer in checking webcams before planned mountaintop excursions, in addition to the weather forecasts. Looks like mkaligis could walk around on some snow at Rigi now.

Anna
    6355 posts
    15 November 2019 at 6:50:49 #924907

Hi mkaligis,

Between Rigi and Pilatus, if you have time why not visit both 🙂

More information here:

If you have the Swiss Travel Pass, I would pick Rigi as the whole trip is fully covered by the pass, whereas you would need to pay half the full ticket price to visit Pilatus. Also, I would have to say if you’re looking for winter activities to do I think Rigi provides more options i.e sledging, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and winter hiking. Just to let you know, you will have to pay extra to do some of these activities 🙂

More details about the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/

Best regards,

Anna

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    16 November 2019 at 1:16:36 #924908

hi Anna,

If we have time we’ll surely visit both of them but I think we’ll just have for 2; Titlis and either rigi or Pilatus. As of activities I think we’ll only do sledging and snowshoeing. I’ve already had chat with officer of Luzern official (http://www.luzern.com/en/) they offer TELL pass that I think is very good bargain. 🙂

Thanks for your advice Anna.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    16 November 2019 at 1:24:52 #924909

Hi CabinJon,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes we’ll certainly be able to walk around on snow, play snowball and possible sledging – it looks fun for family activities. Wish us luck with the weather as we’re so unfortunate 2 years ago when we visit Titlis – the weather was not good, windy and cloudy so we couldn’t enjoy good view.

Anna
    6355 posts
    16 November 2019 at 6:35:59 #924910

That’s great mkaligis!

Here’s the link to information on the Tell Pass. Use the tab to download the validity map.

http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter/price

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Schilthorn or Titlis in Dec. from Lucerne as base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.