Schilthorn hike and ticket question for roundtrip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2019 at 17:18:01 #820875

Hello again!

My family and I will be using the half-fare card to visit Schilthorn in July. Our itinerary tentatively looks like this:

-Train from Fribourg (our base) to Grutschalp (Take Mountain View hike to Winteregg: about a half hour hike, or all the way to Murren: 1hr )

-Train from Winteregg to Murren/ Gondola to – Birg (Thrill walk) – Schilthorn – Cable car down to Stechelberg.

-Hike Lauterbrunnen Valley

Questions:

1. Ticket advice: Do we buy one way tickets up to Schilthorn (since we are starting in Winteregg or Murren) and yet ending in Stechelberg? Or, purchase return trip tickets from Murren and then buy a one-way to Stechelberg? Where and What is the easiest way to purchase the tickets?

2. Is this too ambitious (both Mountain view hike & Lauterbrunnen hike, combined with Schilthorn), given that we won’t be starting our day super early because we are traveling from Fribourg? We are leisurely travelers, but I’m wondering approximately how long this may all take.

All suggestions and advice appreciated. Thank you!!

Andy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    9 April 2019 at 18:19:46 #908898

Hi Andy,

I would go to the ticket booth at Gimmelwald and explain what I want. If there is no manned ticket book there, there will be a ticket vending machine, so you buy tickets just to Mürren, and then ask in Mürren where there is a ticket booth.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2019 at 11:54:12 #908899

Hi Andy

You can also have a look at the timetable to see what is the cheapest, to buy individual tickets with your half fare card or to buy a return Murren to Schilthorn: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

If you are looking for convenience, then the fewer tickets the better I suppose.

You can also read about visiting the Schilthorn here http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

Hope this helps!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Schilthorn hike and ticket question for roundtrip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.