Schynige Platte, any other day trips from Locarno

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 22:07:43 #811640

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if this is open yet? Just bought a travel pass and having troubles checking. Also can anyone recommend day trips from Locarno?

Kind Regards,

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 May 2017 at 22:50:57 #862623

Schynige Platte is a very long day trip from Locarno. It opens 28 May.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2017 at 2:32:53 #862624

<<“Schynige Platte is a very long day trip from Locarno. It opens 28 May.”>>

You are right.

On May 30, it takes 4 hours and 51 or 52 minutes to get there.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2017 at 2:42:47 #862625

Hi John,

Maybe if you gave us a bit more information on your current itinerary and interests people could offer more suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 3:34:41 #862626

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the information. I am in Locarno for the next 4 days, as I wanted to do the Southern part of Switzerland without travelling too much and I figured Locarno would be central. I will be doing Lucern, Interlaken, and possibly Bern from May 6-9 (new hotel in Lucern on May 6), returning to Zurich on the 9th to catch my flight home on the 10th. Any suggestions for how to fill my days down in the sotuh? I have the Swiss travel pass as mentioned. Thanks.

Kind regards,

john

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:00:30 #862627

Hi John,

If I was in Locarno I would sit on a beach – may be Friday! 🙂 The nice towns to visit in the area are Bellinzona and Lugano and of course visiting around Lake Maggiore and Como. The town of Bellagio is worth a visit, as are the boat cruises in the area.

You could also try a day trip to Zermatt via Domodossola – very scenic train ride – but it is about 4 hours each way so its a long day. Perhaps just head to Domodossola for the train ride and enjoy a little bit of Italy and Italian prices 🙂 It is still covered on your Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2017 at 8:43:28 #862628

John-

There are some scenic rail journeys within reach.

You may plan to take one once you go to Luzern, because it is the obvious route. It is to ride through the Gotthard Pass

The timetable will route you under the pass. The scenery is on the old higher route, via Göschenen.

The second is a bit further away. Take the train via Domodossola to Brig, then take the “Lötschberger” train over the alps to Spiez via Kandersteg.

On both routes you can cut the return time by using the new routes via the new “basis tunnels.”

The route through the Centovalli to Domodossola is a special rail journey from Locarno. Limited schedule.

While in Locarno, go up to the Madonna del Sasso.

You could take a lake boat ride on Lake Lugano.

The Customs Museum at Cantine di Gandria on the border , reached by boat or a difficult trail, is small but surprisingly interesting.

map.search.ch/.en.html ?pos=722308,95241&z=102 4

Also, the walk to Gandria from Lugano is pleasant, and the town of Gandria is fun.

The bus to Tirano from Lugano (The Palm Express) , then a ride over the Bernina Pass to Pontresina or St. Moritz is a possibility.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere

The shortest connection from Lugano to Pontresina is just under 4 hours.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/travel-from-lugano-to-st-moritz-options

Above all, take advantage of the Italian cooking, while you are south of the Alps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 16:21:06 #862629

Thank you very much everyone for the quick and informative replies!

We visited Ascano today and it was so beautiful! Unfortunately, boat tours along this area (except for Lugano) are not included in the Travel pass, but we were able to buy them at a discounted price via our hotel discount pass. We visited the Brissago Island as well, which had many great photo ops! Highly recommended.

Lots of great ideas for the next couple days, thanks everyone! Unfortunately the weather is not the greatest May3/4, but we will make the most of it!

Thanks again!

Kind Regards,

John

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2017 at 18:34:36 #862630

While in Locarno, go up to the Madonna del Sasso.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 20:07:42 #862631

Thanks! Also, I saw the Rigi trip is included in the travel pass. Does it sound reasonable as a 1 day venture from Locarno?

Kind Regards,

John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2017 at 20:26:21 #862632

Hi John,

Won’t you be able to do Rigi when you overnight in Luzern?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 20:31:44 #862633

Hi Rockoyster,

We are planning to do Jungfraujoch and Mt. Pilatus then. Since we have 5 days here, we could easily do a day trip to Mt. Rigi if it is feasible.

Kind Regards,

John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2017 at 20:41:19 #862634

You can ascend Rigi from Art-Goldau and get there from Locarno in just over 90 mins if you don’t mind doing the fast long-tunnel route. If you want the slower more scenic route go or return via Göschennen. Check the weather in Luzern first though. No use going up Rigi in clouds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 20:45:28 #862635

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you so much for the info. Do we need to book Rigi ahead of time, or can we just show up with our travel pass?

Kind Regards,

John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2017 at 20:51:30 #862636

I’m pretty sure you can just show up this time of year. That’s what I’ll be doing in a few weeks time. See http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi/gettingthere

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2017 at 21:00:36 #862637

What time are you departing Zurich on 10/5 John? If not too early consider giving yourself another night in Luzern. You can get train direct Luzern to Zurich Airport.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2017 at 21:16:26 #862638

Just show up.

The cograil up to Rigi Kulm runs from a station that is about 2-3 minutes walk from the main station at Arth Goldau. If traffic gets heavy, they add a car or so to the train.

This may help with the weather, although the tourist office in Locarno is likely to know the best way to get current information.

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/rigi-kulm-2660093/

The current images are hard to interpret because it is dark. The white patches may be bright lights on a snow-covered ground, and city lights in the distance

Slowpoke.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2017 at 22:11:31 #862639

A suggestion while you are down south. http://www.montegeneroso.ch/e n

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 20:31:49 #862640

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all the information. The past 2 days have been great, and I was able to go to many of the suggested trips!

As tomorrow is a clear day, Mount Pilatus is on the itinerary. I’m reading that you can get up from Kriens or Alpnachstad. From Locarno, would it be easier to go through Kriens as I have to go to Lucern anyway beforehand?

Also, can someone confirm it is included in the travel pass?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for all your help!

Kind Regards,

John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 May 2017 at 20:44:33 #862641

Hi John,

I am planning to do the “Golden Round Trip” described here http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus. It is fully covered by Swiss Travel Pass.

If you are arriving Luzern Station anyway then probably makes no difference which way round you choose to go on the Pilatus trip. The boat leaves from close to the station whereas Kriens is a bus ride away.

Hoping we get some sunny days late May.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2017 at 23:06:23 #862642

John-

The trip up Pilatus by cograil is a special event. Go that way.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Schynige Platte, any other day trips from Locarno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.