Visit Schynige Platte or Kleine Scheidegg?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2018 at 8:08:17 #818323

I only have time for one or the other. Can someone advise me which should I probably go ?

I’ll be starting the trip from interlaken ost.

much appreciated

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2018 at 15:15:01 #896045

Hi Pinwheel,

Both a good options for a mountain visit, both are similar altitudes, both are similarly priced and both take a little over an hour to reach….I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I’d pick based on weather conditions on the morning you want to go I think.

Any reason you aren’t going all the way to Jungfraujoch? Price?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2018 at 18:20:28 #896046

Thanks Lucas.

Yeah, price is the main reason 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2018 at 5:57:57 #896047

Fair enough – it is one expensive trip.

I still haven’t visited Jungfraujoch!

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    13 September 2018 at 16:29:22 #896048

Hi Pinwheel

In response to your question, I would say its like asking if you should choose chocolate or vanilla ice cream. People may have some preference but both are good choices. I would say KS is much closer to the big three, the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Mönch. You are almost at their bases. On the other hand the vistas at SP are unsurpassed with views of all the mountains as well as Männlichen, Lauderbrunnen valley, and Interlaken lakes if you walk a short way from the train station along the Panaramaweg.

While I have hiked many if not most of the trails around Wengen, I too have never been to Jungfraujoch. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2018 at 18:48:28 #896049

well, that makes the three of us who haven’t been to Jungfraujoch 🙂

Anyways, thanks for the insights Mark!

Drexelius
    Participant
    20 posts
    14 September 2018 at 13:20:31 #896050

The Junfraujoch is one of those trips that you have to do once – but only once. It’s VERY expensive and frankly not worth the cost given the many other great, less expensive options in the region. But we had to go and see what all the fuss was about. It was a very nice experience – beautiful views of mountains and glaciers, and the glacier cave was very cool and unique. But it was also very crowded, especially on the way down. The early morning special makes the trip more affordable, but for us it was still a one-time experience. We went up the the Junfraujoch the first time we were in the BO region (about 20 years ago). We have been back to Switzerland about 6 times since then and always visit the BO, but have never returned to the Jungfraujoch.

• The thread ‘Visit Schynige Platte or Kleine Scheidegg?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.