Schynige Platte Panoramaweg with a 4-year old

• Ahurst0783
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 July 2022 at 11:39:59 #827684

My wife and I plan on hiking the Panoramaweg with our 4 year old and we have a couple of questions…

1) My 4 year old only hikes maybe 15% of the time before wanting to be carried and definitely not uphill. We recently hiked the North Face Trail while carrying her in our toddler backpack. Some parts were not fun but we did alright. Are these two trails comparable? The Panoramaweg looks to have a bit more elevation gain (300ft more approx.) but the distance is about half a mile shorter. Does this seem doable if we handled North Face Trail? Also I want to hike the trail in 3 and one half hours and it typically takes 2 and one half from what I have seen.

2) Where can we refill our water so we don’t have to carry all the water we need from the beginning of the day?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6354 posts
    4 July 2022 at 17:17:07 #943945

Hi Ahurst0783,

1. You can choose from two Panoramaweg on Schynige Platte. The longer Panoramaweg is about 7km long, and the shorter version is about 5km. Both starts and ends at the same place, which is near the Schynige Platte summit station. The trails are considered easy but might be a little tough for a 4-year old. You can find more information about the trail here: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/schynige-platte/panorama-hike/

More options available here: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/schynige-platte/

2. There is a restaurant at near the summit train station. You can get your water refill at the restaurant.

More information about Schynige Platte here: http://www.myswissalps.com/schynigeplatte

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    802 posts
    5 July 2022 at 12:46:27 #943946

Hi Ahurst

I think the hike is likely doable for you. It is a relatively easy trail. Most of the elevation gain is at the first of the trail and the 2.5 hr estimate for the hike is at a very easy pace. I would say it is comparable to the North Face hike. You definitely want to take the longer 7 Km route as it goes along the ridge top with spectacular views of the lakes on the left side and the mountains on the right. I don’t recall any water sources along the route once you leave the hotel area but unless its a very hot day I would think a bottle per person would suffice. Here are some sample photos.

Mark.

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 July 2022 at 16:01:09 #943947

Thanks for your input and your great pictures Mark!

Ahurst0783
    Participant
    13 posts
    5 July 2022 at 16:52:33 #943948

Thank you for the help everyone! We are going to give it a shot. I have been carrying her quite a bit uphill in the backpack and while it is tiring I have found it all worth it so far. I have heard amazing things about this hiking trail.

Thank you for the photos Mark. Wonderful views!

• The thread ‘Schynige Platte Panoramaweg with a 4-year old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.