Schynige Platte to First hike beginning of May

• Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 March 2021 at 11:42:08 #825798

Dear All! Hope you are keeping safe. I would have a question about the hike from Schynige Platte to First. Have done this couple of years ago in August, however we would like to do the hike the week of 10th of May as we will be in the Lauterbrunnen area for a week of holiday. The Schynige Platte Railway that takes you to the starting point of the hike operates from May 22nd. Does anyone know alternative ways to get to Schynige Platte to be able to enjoy the hike to First? Many thanks in advance for your help! 🙂 Regards, Blanka

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 March 2021 at 14:41:43 #934786

Hi Blanka!

That’s for sure an amazing hike (http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/schynigeplatte). I’m afraid early May is too early though. Large parts of the route are likely to be covered by snow, and there’s no other way to reach Schynige Platte (except for hiking up ;-)).

If you plan to travel in May, you’d better focus on hikes at lower altitude. You’ll find some routes in the Bernese Oberland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland/activities (scroll down).

Further tips for Lauterbrunnen and its surroundings can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen.

Have fun preparing for your trip, and let us know if you have more questions!

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 March 2021 at 18:10:31 #934787

Thank you for your help, Annika, appreciate the reply! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 March 2021 at 21:50:49 #934788

Hi Annika –

I may have missed this in your answer, but when do you think the routes would be open? Mid June? Or, perhaps more likely, late June?

Slowpoke

Anna
    6355 posts
    22 March 2021 at 6:59:39 #934789

Hi Slowpoke,

The cogwheel train servicing Schynige Platte starts operation on May 22. But I don’t think the hiking trails would be open, not until June. There is a panorama restaurant and a small alpine garden at the top and at nearly 2000m above sea level, I think you’ll get a great view of the surrounding mountains.

Regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 March 2021 at 12:19:36 #934790

Hi Anna –

<<“There is a panorama restaurant and a small alpine garden at the top and

at nearly 2000m above sea level, I think you’ll get a great view of the

surrounding mountains.”>>

We enjoyed those walks some time ago, and I recall some stunning views near there, without going on to First.

Fred

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    22 March 2021 at 21:16:53 #934791

The SP to First trail usually doesn’t open until at least late June. I’ve been on that trail on July 8 when it had just opened and there was still some snow to contend with!

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    28 March 2021 at 9:35:03 #934792

Thank you, Kim! thanks to your detailed guide on Wengen I discovered this hike 2 years ago 🙂 Warm regards, Blanka

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    28 March 2021 at 23:57:09 #934793

Hi Blanka

Yes it looks like you will be in Lauterbrunnen too early to visit SP. Previously when you hiked from SP to First you did not mention which route you took. The most common and shortest route is down the middle of SP. However a much more scenic route and only slightly longer is the Panaramaweg trail that hugs the plateau edge overlooking the lakes and still has grand views of the mountains. It passes Oberberghorn which has a nice overlook and then joins the main trail at Laucherhorn. To access the Panaramaweg trail you pass the hotel and restaurant and continue as far left as you can go and you should see signs to Panaramaweg and Oberberghorn.

If you don’t have the time or inclination to do the full SP to First hike you can take a very scenic loop of 2.5 hrs where you walk over the Panaramaweg route and at Laucherhorn you return back to the SP train station over the center main route. (Signs at Laucherhorn clearly mark the return route as well as the main trail to Faulhorn and First) I would suspect the loop trail at SP would be open most of June but I have never been there earlier than mid July so I don’t really know for sure

Hopefully you will make it back to SP again. It is a beautiful place.

Mark

• The thread ‘Schynige Platte to First hike beginning of May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.