Seat reservation for Glacier Express on Aug 19

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 16:01:22 #822517

Hi Arno,
    Following your reply on my question posted under the “free reservatio to Jungfrau….”, thank you for the web link to to book seat reservation with Swiss Travel pass.
    May I check if the seat reservation for one way from St Moritz to zermatt in Aug is around CHF53 per person? Still a little confuse if its truly only seat reservation with free ticket.. kindly let me know the estimated cost if possible…it seems pretty pricey for seat reservation only with Swiss Travel pass…thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 June 2019 at 20:58:51 #916307

Seat reservations do in fact cover just securing a seat and are compulsory. Your Swiss Travel Pass covers the actual travel cost. You can make seat selections and reservations at shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express. In the purchase process you will get the chance to claim your Swiss Travel Pass. You had better be quick. There are very few seats left on that day.

If you mis out you can follow the same route on regular trains and save the seat reservation charges. The scenery is just the same but you will have to change trains a few times.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 23:32:46 #916308

Hihi
    Thanks so much for quick reply.
    One quick question, it’s also mentioned train during high season is excellent class. And 1st class ticket is required. I’m getting the swiss travel pass 2nd class, do I still book the excellent class reservation?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 23:39:11 #916309

Excellence Class is a new premium service -1st class plus lots more money on top – very expensive (too much so in my view but that’s a personal opinion as someone who considers the views from ordinary local trains on the same route to be more than adequate)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:17:58 #916310

On the same train, there different classes right? I might hv misunderstood.
    Do I get to choose the seats during the purchase of seat reservation? It seems to go straight to payment.after input passenger details..

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:21:11 #916311

Hello Anna,

The Excellence Class is already booked out for your travel date. There are obviously people who don’t mind shelling out CHF 420 for a seat reservation. This is what you get http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/glacier-express-excellence-class-review for your money (1st Class ticket not included).

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website of SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:28:24 #916312

Hihi,
    Sorry I might not cleared on my question.
    I only want to buy seat reservation with my 2nd class swiss travel pass. Just like to ensure I’m buying the correct seat reservation for 902/903 which indicated they run excellent class at these route/timing n that 1st class ticket is required.

Thanks again for clarification.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:31:00 #916313

And that there is option to choose seat?
    Seats are randomly selected for us?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:43:28 #916314

Reservations in 1st and 2nd Class are the same price. If you use this site shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express the seats automatically selected will be in green. If there are other seats free you can deselect the auto-assigned ones by clicking on them and then pick others.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 1:03:54 #916315

Hmmm this is getting very confusing….
    I was given by arno this weblink to book the seat…which I hv done so. But no seat allocated.
    Would all friends be seated far apart??
    🙁
    http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /passholder-fares-glacier-express

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 June 2019 at 3:22:07 #916316

They will try to place fellow travellers together. The link I gave you is the only one on which you are able to select seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 4:08:26 #916317

Oh dear! So I might bought the wrong reservation?

Would you be kingly help be to see what was the booking on my link above?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 June 2019 at 4:34:22 #916318

Don’t worry too much. Happyrails is a perfectly legitimate place to get seat reservations – no problem with that. They just doesn’t offer you the chance to pick your own seats. You have to rely on them to make sure fellow travellers are seated together if it is possible. Oh and they charge a bit more than booking directly for high season reservations.

I have never bought from them so I’m not sure what you should expect to receive. You should get something with seat number allocations on it. I’m not sure how long that takes after payment. Arno will most likely be along shortly when the sun gets up in Europe. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 4:56:21 #916319

Oh dear! No wonder it was like chf 53 for one seat reservation. :(((

I should have waited instead of rushing to buy thinking it’s running out soon.
    So sad

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 June 2019 at 5:09:24 #916320

It’s CHF43 if you buy from the official site so it’s not a massive difference.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 6:19:07 #916321

I see! Sigh….
    Thanks anyway

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 June 2019 at 6:47:24 #916322

Hi Anna,

Your questions have been answered in the other thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/free-reservations-to-jungfraujoch-more-discounts. Please post question in one place (here, in this case), that makes it easier to help you out. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 9:06:54 #916323

Hi Rockoyster,
    From the gracieexpress link. The ticket and seat reservation are included at the same time….May I know how to buy without the ticket, only the seat selection since I will be getting the swiss travel pass?

By the way, will swiss travel pass sold out too?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 June 2019 at 9:46:04 #916324

Hi Anna,

You have already purchased a reservation from HappyRail. You don’t need another one.

But just for info, as I said before regarding the official site, “In the purchase process you will get the chance to claim your Swiss Travel Pass“.

The Swiss Travel Pass never sells out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 10:17:56 #916325

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Annika
    7103 posts
    28 June 2019 at 10:20:47 #916326

Hi Anna19. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. You’ve got perfectly fine seat reservations from HappyRail. You certainly haven’t booked seat reservations plus tickets, as CHF 53 per person would be far too low an amount for that combination ;-). So you don’t have tickets yet and your Swiss Travel Pass will cover the journey. Swiss Travel Passes don’t sell out indeed. You can order them up to a couple of days before leaving: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Seat reservation for Glacier Express on Aug 19’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.