Reservation mandatory for Swiss scenic trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 7:52:12 #821754

Hi Team,

I am planning to purchase Swiss Travel Pass for my 9 days trip in Switzerland ( 20th to 28th June). Is it mandatory to make a seat reservation or you can still travel without seat reservation in any of the Panoramic train. Will it be too crowded in June (being a high season) that one wont be able to board without seat reservation ? I just want to keep my plan flexible hence I am avoiding the seat reservation. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2019 at 8:12:08 #912939

Hello Pravin and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The only trains you need reservations for are the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Gotthard Panorama Express trains. Nothing else. Armed with your Swiss Travel Pass just hop on and go. June is not really high season.

All the Panoramic Train routes are serviced by regular trains as well so theoretically you don’t need reservations on any Swiss trains if you choose that option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 8:14:55 #912940

The Glacier Express, the Bernina Express, Gottard Express and some parts of the Golden Pass line have compulsory seat reservations. Not only that but seats do sell out.

In fact, if you follow this link you will see there are very few seats on the Glacier Express for your dates already. Check first and second class. It tells you how many seats are still available to reserve.

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express

If you miss out on reservations you can take a regional train on the same railway line as the Glacier Express (you have to change trains quite a few times between St Moritz and Zermatt on the regional line) and the Bernina Express and you don’t have to make reservations for those trains.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2019 at 8:18:54 #912941

Reservations are not compulsory on any part of the Golden Pass route, Paddo. Just recommended at peak tourist times on the actual Golden Pass Panoramic trains that ply the route between Montreux and Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 8:24:56 #912942

Thanks, Rockoyster. I did try and change it but it was too late to edit. I will try and get it right next time. Since time was of the essence I thought I should get the post out quickly but you were quicker!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 8:32:01 #912943

Hey, Thanks Pado. I have also noted the correction 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 8:32:45 #912944

Hey, thanks for prompt revert. Really appreciate it 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 17:39:58 #912945

One more help…is there any difference in the regional train and panoramic trains ? One you have already mentioned that I may have to change multiple trains…is there any other difference in terms of window or anything which is better in Panoramic ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2019 at 18:50:23 #912946

Hi Pravin,

In general the “official” panoramic trains are more comfortable and have larger windows. It depends though, on some routes the regular trains are very nice as well. All trains are perfectly fine but the panoramic ones offer the best experience in terms of available staff, windows, catering (not always) and no need to change trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 19:05:57 #912947

The panoramic trains also have a commentary on what you are seeing.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
  • The thread ‘Reservation mandatory for Swiss scenic trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.