Seat reservation on Glacier express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 8:13:50 #817228

Hi, We are reaching Switzerland/Chur on the morning of 14th July and planning to take the Glacier express on July 15th from Chur to Brig. We haven’y bought the swiss travel pass yet and are planning to buy it from the airport on 14th. Since we haven’t bought the pass yet, we are yet to reserve seats. When I checked the availability, the train shows a lot of availability for seats on the morning 9.26 train which we are planning to board. Is it ok if we don’t reserve our seats online and just do that at the Chur station on 14th or 15th after buying the travel pass? Also, is there any discount on seat reservation cost for travel pass holders?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 12:53:15 #891135

Hi Ritika,

You do not need to have bought the Swiss Travel Pass before you reserve seats on the Glacier Express.

I’m also surprised there are seats available still – I would reserve as soon as possible though as they may be sold out by the time you arrive. https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/p ackages

Also, It would be more convenient to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online. It can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

No discounts are available to anyone for reservations – but the ticket cost is included on the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 0:12:22 #891136

Personally I wouldn’t bother with the Glacier Express, just take a regional train and get away from the crowds – there are trains from Chur at 07.56 and 08.56 that get ahead of the Glacier Express. You have to change trains in Disentis Muster and Andermatt, but you can extend the time you have at those stations if you wish. Getting an ordinary regional service gives you that flexibility.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 9:32:57 #891137

Thank you guys! I already bought our travel pass and reserved seats on Glacier express last night. Reserving seats was quite expensive though but have already done it now! Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 10:40:20 #891138

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

Happy Travels

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 23:50:34 #891139

Hello friends,

“Personally I wouldn’t bother with the Glacier Express, just take a regional train and get away from the crowds – there are trains from Chur at 07.56 and 08.56 that get ahead of the Glacier Express. You have to change trains in Disentis Muster and Andermatt, but you can extend the time you have at those stations if you wish. Getting an ordinary regional service gives you that flexibility”

With above comment you mean to say that the view is exactly same?

The regional train itself is equally beautiful?(The reason for me asking so many questions as I am travelling for first time to Switzerland from Canada)

I checked that with STP you still have to pay CHF55 per passenger just for booking a seat?

We are travelling in September.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 5:46:46 #891140

Hi mehtaradha,

Yes, the views out of the train are the same as you follow the same route as the Glacier Express.

I would argue that the panoramic trains offer a different experience and is a little nicer than regionaltrains (and no train changes are required).

Reservations on panoramic trains are mandatory (https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/p ackages)

So if you would rather save the seat booking cost and aren’t concerned with getting the larger windows, you can travel on regional trains with no reservation costs as 1960man states.

• The thread ‘Seat reservation on Glacier express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.