Seat reservation & boarding process Jungfraujoch

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    30 June 2018 at 11:12:10 #816976

I have made seat reservations for Jungfrau but will wait to decide on tickets depending upon weather in mid July.

When I went to print the ticket it said you need a printer that can print DI-A4 paper in black/white and print in portrait format so that you can ensure that your ticket can be easily and quickly inspected.

Is 8 1/2 x ll paper acceptable

Can someone who has use the seat reservations share once you arrive in KS is there a special “que”/”Line” for those that have seat reservations versus those that don’t.

How does this process work ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    30 June 2018 at 16:24:25 #889795

Is there a QR code on your ticket? If yes, the important point is that the QR code is properly printed.

your reservation has a car number, and a seat number. There is no special queue, but the car numbers are clearly visible. Board your car, then find the seat. There is plenty of time for that, don’t worry.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    30 June 2018 at 16:55:24 #889796

There is no car number on the PDF form…..

It has order number, order position, date, KS to Jungfraujoch, Departure time, Arrival Time price CHF 5.00

Is the QR code what looks like a UPC number in the US

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    30 June 2018 at 21:18:06 #889797

< There is no car number on the PDF form….. >

Ok. Then they don’t have the same system of reservation as other railways do. I can only guess: Your reseravtion grants you a seat, but not a particular one. Someone will check that you have a valid reservation on that particular train, and, if so, will let you board, and you sit wherever you want. If you are a group, and are among the last ones to board, you might not be able to sit together.

QR Code. An image with black and white squares, like a checkerboard. Found on print-at-home tickets for SBB (the standard gauge Swiss railways). It contains all the data of the ticket, and train attendents have a device to read them. If the Jungfraubahn does not use QR Codes, don’t worry. Make sure the entire text is printed on your 8.5″ paper. It-‘s a good idea to have a copy on a smartphone.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 0:46:33 #889798

>> Is 8 1/2 x ll paper acceptable

A4 paper is 8.27 × 11.69 inches, so everything should fit on your slightly wider but shorter paper.

It’s important not to resize the print, so before printing, check the print settings. There is often a “shrink to fit” option, or option to print at a size less than 100%. Avoid using either of those – make sure to print at full size.

>> Can someone who has use the seat reservations share once you arrive in KS is there a special “que”/”Line” for those that have seat reservations versus those that don’t. How does this process work ?

Yes, there are separate carriages (and separate queueing areas) for passengers with reservations (and also separate carriages or whole trains for passengers travelling as part of an organised group).

A reservation is not for a particular seat, but for the “reserved seats” carriage, which is separate from the carriages for people without reservations.

There are large overhead signs in different colours at Kleine Scheidegg station to direct you to the appropriate carriages/queueing areas depending on whether or not you have a reservation, or are part of an organised group:

• Green – Individuals with seat reservation
    • Gold – Individuals no seat reservation
    • Purple – passengers travelling as part of an organised group

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 0:53:13 #889799

>> Is the QR code what looks like a UPC number in the US

No. If you google “QR code”, you will see some images of what it looks like.

Alpenrose

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    1 July 2018 at 1:13:05 #889800

It is defintely not a QR Code but more like a UPC with a series of numbers underneath. I will send a message to the help desk and see if the document I printed out is all that I would have and no QR code and advise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 2:25:10 #889801

>> I will send a message to the help desk and see if the document I printed out is all that I would have and no QR code and advisef the Jungfrau Railways

The reservation they sent you, and instructed you to print, is all you need in terms of a reservation, whether or not it has a QR code on it.

SBB reservations printed at home have a QR code, but that is not necessarily the case for other railway companies in Switzerland.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Seat reservation & boarding process Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.