Seat reservations on Golden Pass to Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 10:56:39 #816535

As advised in the forums I have reserved seats on the GoldenPass from Montreux to Interlaken for 4 which includes our two grandchildren 7 and 9 but only from Montreux to Zweisimmen and also that leg on the return journey.

As the grandchildren are quite young should I be also reserving seats from Zweisimmen to Interlaken and for the return leg of that journey to make sure they have seats? Jo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 16:21:17 #887805

Hi Jo.

That leg of the journey isn’t usually a problem to find seats and most people; and except groups, most usually don’t reserve. but of course to be on the safe side you could…. Sorry I can’t say for sure 100% you need to reserve…the train might be quiet that day. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:59:30 #887806

The true ‘Goldenpass’ is only the MOB railway section Montreux – Zweisimmen. This is a narrow gauge train so seats are more compact. Zweisimmen – Interlaken is a ‘full size’ national railway train so there is more room to move around. Reservations are not usually necessary on this section of the line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 10:58:04 #887807

Hi Lucas and 196oman,

Thank you both for your feedback. I didn’t realise the train on that section would be different and have a lot more seats so in that case I will probably take pot luck. I was just a bit concerned as it will be school holidays in August. Cheers Jo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 23:09:59 #887808

From mid-August Swiss school holidays are ending and many Europeans head home so it is not always that busy. I’ve never had trouble getting seat on the Zweisimmen – Interlaken route

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 10:35:21 #887809

Hi 196oman,

We’re booked into a hotel in Wengen for four nights from the 6th of August, so I thought it might still be busy, I really only what to make sure that the children have seats. Also it looks like it could be a bit uncertain booking the Jungfraubahn up to the Jungfraujoch and and the cable car to Schilthorn in advance due to the uncertainty of the weather. Should we rely on advice from the hotel we are staying at and try to book a day or two ahead? Also I note you can’t reserve seats from Wengen, is Lauterbrunnen an option or can reservations for the Jungfraubahn only be made commencing at Interlaken? Sorry for all these questions, the website is great but knowing whether to reserve seats is a bit confusing.

Cheers Jo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 18:36:55 #887810

Hi Jo,

Reservations on the Golden Pass can be a good idea for families to be sure everyone has a seat and sit together. https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges

For mountain trips, you should wait until about 24 hours before making reservations (checking weather). Or reserve at any time if you know you want to go regardless.
    Jungfraujoch can only be reserved between Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch.

Schilthorn boarding pass
    Jungfraujoch reservations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 22:16:53 #887811

Hotels usually provide guests with weather forecast, especially in mountain tourist regions.

I usually keep an eye on the Swiss national weather service, either on the telly (bulletin starts 6.55pm on main SRF1 channel) or via web (MeteoSwiss).

The telly weather forecast is amusing, the forecaster stands on the roof of a building in Zürich. The Swiss-German dialect is usually impossible to follow but the symbols on the weather maps are quite easy to understand.

• The thread ‘Seat reservations on Golden Pass to Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.