Picking seat with reservations on Gotthard Express

• Mjdunford183
    Participant
    7 posts
    1 July 2018 at 13:29:02 #817006

I am trying to get a seat reservation on the Gotthard Express. I think I finally have one on hold, but I wasn’t asked to pick a seat. Do you actually get to pick a seat on the train or is the reservation just that and you take any seat you want when you get on the train? Is there only one boat/train (Gotthard Express) to Lugano per day? I’m finding it very difficult to make sure I’m getting the train that I want! Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 16:10:02 #889911

Hi Mjdunford183,

You can request your preference for seat reservations normally. That is the case with HappyRail – first link here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/gotthardpanorama express/packages

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 3:24:43 #889912

>> I am trying to get a seat reservation on the Gotthard Express. I think I finally have one on hold, but I wasn’t asked to pick a seat.

If you book direct with the SBB, you can choose to have window or aisle seats, but if you have already paid for your booking, there would be no point booking again on the SBB site.

>> Do you actually get to pick a seat on the train

On the SBB site, you don’t choose the actual seat, but you can choose window or aisle.

http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?1993

(Change the language at the top of the page if necessary).

>> or is the reservation just that and you take any seat you want when you get on the train?

On the Gotthard Panorama Express, a reservation is always for a specific seat. The carriage and seat number will be on your reservation.

>> Is there only one boat/train (Gotthard Express) to Lugano per day?

Yes, Tues to Sun – it doesn’t run on Mondays. You can’t reserve seats on the boat. The boat leaves Luzern at 11:12 and connects with the train at Flüelen at 14:10.

You can reserve seats on the train, which leaves Flüelen at 14:10, arriving Lugano 16:38. It is denoted by the letters EXT, and the reservation will cost you CHF 24. This cost is additional to the cost of a ticket or pass for the journey.

Alpenrose

Mjdunford183
    Participant
    7 posts
    3 July 2018 at 16:16:39 #889913

I used the like you gave me and was able to request window seats on the Gotthard Express, but for two days I have been trying to pay for seats and my payment always fails. I have called my credit card company and my card isn’t blocked. I have tried multiple cards and the result is always the same. Will the ticuketshop take US credit cards? I have contacted the Ticket Shop, as well, but they haven’t gotten back to me. thanks for your help, Molly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 18:26:23 #889914

Hi Mjdunford183,

The domestic SBB site often rejects foreign credit cards – frustrating I know.
    You can also make reservations through one of the companies on my link on my last post. Not usually any problems there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 0:24:22 #889915

Hi Molly,

>> but for two days I have been trying to pay for seats and my payment always fails. I have called my credit card company and my card isn’t blocked. I have tried multiple cards and the result is always the same.

As Lucas mentioned, the SBB site does sometimes reject foreign credit cards, although personally I have never had this problem on the SBB site – I’m Australian. I have an account with the SBB ticket shop. Did you register for an account? It might be worth trying that to see if it makes any difference.

I have had problems on other sites with a Visa Card, as the “Verified by Visa” process sometimes fails inexplicably, but my MasterCard has never been rejected anywhere.

Depending on what you hear back from the SBB, you might have to give up the option of picking your own seats for the convenience of a hassle-free credit card transaction.

Alpenrose

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    4 July 2018 at 4:59:32 #889916

I reserved seats on the GPEX a few weeks ago on SBB with my Mastercard. The strange thing is that a few days ago I tried to reserve seats on another train using the same card and I couldn’t. I tried for several days thinking that there might be a glitch with their system.

Finally, I tried with my Visa card and that worked immediately. I have an account with SBB and now have details of both cards saved on it.

It seems odd that my Mastercard would work once but then not the second time.

• The thread ‘Picking seat with reservations on Gotthard Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.