Seat reservations recommended on regular trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 3:02:54 #811866

Hello. . Two or three of the trips we plan to take on regular trains show reservations are recommended due to high popularity on certain portions of the trip (Brig to Kandersteg 12:36pm) and Kandersteg to Speiz both in July. I have looked on RailEurope and I think figured out how to reserve a seat…but only saw paper reservations..sent through the mail, not emailed. I looked on HappyRail but didn’t find seat reservations..or maybe they were well hidden? Do any of the companies have seat reservations delivered by email rather than paper mail?

Also on a couple of them bumping up to 1st class from our 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass Flex would be a nice experience. I believe I can do that at the rail stations should it appear really crowded as well as following the great directions previously listed for the SBB app.

So, one cannot purchase a seat reservation (not a ticket but just the reservation) on the SBB site?

Thanks so much,

OhGeologist

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 6:25:19 #863488

>> Also on a couple of them bumping up to 1st class from our 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass Flex would be a nice experience. I believe I can do that at the rail stations should it appear really crowded as well as following the great directions previously listed for the SBB app.

Buying a class upgrade from the ticket counter is always an option, but if your train is departing on one of the more distant platforms, you can’t wait until it arrives before deciding on the upgrade, as you probably won’t have time to get to the ticket office and back – and there may also be a queue. That is where the app comes in handy.

Thanks to rockoyster and others, I think we have now solved the difficulty of getting a class upgrade for the correct price (i.e. half price) in the SBB App if you have a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass.

I have just run through it on my SBB App, which is the version for the iPhone. During the purchase process, you get the option to “Edit travelers”. Using this option, you can change your traveller status from 1/1 (full fare) to 1/2 (half fare), and then choose “Class upgrade (route-specific)” as your purchase option. Just remember to change it back to 1/1 if you need to buy any point-to-point tickets on days not covered by your Swiss Travel Pass!

>> So, one cannot purchase a seat reservation (not a ticket but just the reservation) on the SBB site?

Yes, if seat reservations are available on a particular train, you can purchase reservations on the SBB site at the page below. But note that on many regional trains, seat reservations are not possible.

http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/sprache.do?en

There are also limits on how far ahead you can purchase a reservation:

> Online 60 days in advance

> Mobile app 30 days in advance

If reservations are possible on a particular train, 2nd class reservations will get you a guaranteed seat, but it can still be tricky to find somewhere convenient to stow your luggage. As 1st class is generally less crowded, stowing your luggage tends to be less of a problem. Doing an upgrade to first class is therefore my preferred option for dealing with a crowded train when I am travelling with luggage. Of course, reservations are much cheaper than a class upgrade!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 18:09:47 #863489

Thanks so much AlpenRose,

We are a month out – so this week I will try to do a combination upgrade and seat reservation…when you bumped up to 1st class, did you find a need to get a seat reservation? I guessing it wouldn’t be that crowded, so for regular trains, just an upgrade may be adequate.

I have been reviewing the trip reports on the Guarda-Ftan-Scuol area, Meiringen to Wassen-Goschenen bus trip and others. Very thankful for this forum.

OhGeologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 3:01:21 #863490

>> when you bumped up to 1st class, did you find a need to get a seat reservation? I guessing it wouldn’t be that crowded, so for regular trains, just an upgrade may be adequate.

On the occasions I upgraded to first class because of a crowded train, I did not make a seat reservation as well.

However, on my train from Spiez to Brig via Kandersteg, there was standing room only even in first class, which I had never seen before. That was on a Wednesday in mid-September, a bit before 11:00, so the reason for the crowd is a bit of a mystery. Most of them were travelling without luggage. When I boarded, I was able to get a seat, and stow my luggage, but by the time the train left, people were standing in first class. A lot of people had left the train by the time we reached Kandersteg though, and seats were once more available, at least in first class.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 11:06:02 #863491

Thanks, Alpenrose. I had heard the Brig to Kandersteg route might be highly traveled for hikers. We are traveling that path from Bellinzona as we arrive in Kandersteg and so I will now go for an upgrade there as well. We are taking another route…Kandersteg-Gopplestein – Gampelsteg when we head to the Gemmi Pass hike. Hopefully we will be ok with that one.

Appreciate you sharing your experience.

OhGeologist

drrpkesav
    Participant
    8 posts
    23 May 2017 at 12:44:09 #863492

I am not able to book reservation in EuroCity 17 for travel from Zurich to Chiasso but I have a valid ticket from Chiasso to Milano Centrale. Can I travel in the same train from Zurich in standing or only those with reservations are allowed?

drrpkesav
    Participant
    8 posts
    23 May 2017 at 12:45:00 #863493

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a swiss travel pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 15:55:50 #863494

Reservations are very uncommon or indeed impossible to make on Swiss trains. You can board the train in Zurich and just stay seated the whole trip (or move in Chiasso if you have a reserved seat for that section).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Seat reservations recommended on regular trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.