Book family coach for TGV train Basel to Paris

• Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    7 August 2019 at 14:38:50 #823293

Hi,

Trying to book the above route for 2 adults and 2 kids (5y n 22m) for 13th Sep 19. Was trying to book a family coach. However, almost at the end of booking, it says that it’s not available and only side by side seats are available. Is there any workaround to this? Will it be a major setback? I know I possibly have no choice but would just like to be armed with the info.

TIA!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 August 2019 at 14:50:47 #919575

Hi Deshani57!

There are quite some retailers offering TGV tickets and seats. I’m not sure which one you’ve been using. If it indicates that family coaches aren’t available, then there’s no workaround I’m afraid. But you could give it a try with several of the other companies listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e.

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    7 August 2019 at 15:18:14 #919576

Hi Annika,

As always, thanks for your reply. I was actually using the TGV site itself, as it offered the best deal compared to some of the other retailers, few of whom are listed on the link you mentioned. I’ll try some alternate retailers too in that case.

Thankyou!

Deshani

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2019 at 23:40:02 #919577

Perhaps you could try emailing customer services at TGV Lyria, which operates the Switzerland France TGVs

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    8 August 2019 at 0:50:30 #919578

Thankyou @1960man. I will try that too.. do you recommend emailing them before as an inquiry or after, once I’ve made a booking?

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    8 August 2019 at 4:43:20 #919579

Ok after the feedback, I did some checking and here were the options available:

TGV site – 1st class; Club 4 but no seat reservation for the baby – EUR 267.00

Trainline – 2nd class non-flex – side by side seats – in a row separated by the aisle – toddler gets a reserved seat – EUR 245

Loco2 – 2nd class semi-flex – side by side seats in a row separated by the aisle -toddler gets a reserved seat – EUR 245.00

Off the cuff, the 1st class seems a good option cos we will all be together but the toddler having her own seat is also tempting. For the 1st class ticket, could someone tell me how to book the Forfait Bambin on the TGV site. I don’t see the option but it tells you should book that if you want a reserved seat for the child under 3.

TIA!

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 August 2019 at 6:23:15 #919580

Hi Deshani,

Did you check https://en.oui.sncf/en /tgv-lyria too? That’s the French railways; they should allow you to book any type of seat and fare.

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    8 August 2019 at 6:59:41 #919581

Hi Arno.. actually yes I checked that site too but the tickets are phenomenally more expensive (however, a significant discount is available on the Carte Avantage Famille card which has a load of T&C which I couldn’t down to checking on) but also, when I just checked now only gives me side by side seats even though I requested for a family coach. I’m guessing the family coaches are possibly booked out

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 August 2019 at 11:05:48 #919582

Hi Deshani,

Prices are often more or less the same on the various websites, but I can’t entirely rule out a more significant difference here and there. Anyway, I still found a “family seating” option through https://en.oui.sncf/en /tgv-lyria, please see the attachment. I can’t help with the discount cards for France, that’s beyond the scope of MySwissAlps I’m afraid…

Reservations start to sell 4 months in advance, so the best prices and some seat types may indeed be sold out by now.

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    8 August 2019 at 15:19:30 #919583

Yes Arno. I see the same thing. But as you proceed, a message comes up later, that the selected seats cannot be matched. Refer attachment in my first message.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    8 August 2019 at 21:21:33 #919584

When I want specific seating, dates, etc. I go directly to Eurail. They can actually see what’s available and book exact seats. I know that this may not have the discounts that other websites may have but I am looking for certainty not shopping for discounts.

• The thread ‘Book family coach for TGV train Basel to Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.