Rigi & Pilatus trips not by cable car still good?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 1:57:30 #818765

Hi There,

The questions may have been asked before, so apologies for any repeat. We are visiting Lucerne in a few weeks and would like to go to either Mt Rigi or Mt Pilatus but my hubby doesn’t like cable cars or gondolas. I saw a post that both the Panorama gondola ride and Aerial cableways ride are closed due to revision 22nd October to 9th November. Is it possible to see just as much by cog train only going round trip to either of these mountains? If so, can you please share the best directions?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 October 2018 at 3:02:56 #898209

Hello Lucy and welcome to MySwissalps,

For Pilatus you can catch a train or boat to Alpnachstad and cog wheel to and from Pilatus Kulm.

For Rigi you can catch a boat to Vitznau and cog-wheel to Rigi Kulm then down to Arth Goldhau and train back to Luzern. Or any combination of those connections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 6:53:16 #898210

Hi Lucy,

The views, once at the top are the same of course. It could be argued that you’ll get better views (being higher up) in the cable car, but the cogwheel trains are very nice experiences as well and can offer some great views you’ll enjoy.

Still worth the trip for sure!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2018 at 8:57:27 #898211

Hi Lucy-

There are lots of good maps, but I like this one because it shows the rail lines ( and other transport) very very clearly if you zoom in to zoom level 32.

I have done that for the Rigi, as an example:

map.search.ch/?pos=682720,212528&z=32

Using the tools in the menu, you can turn on icons for the stations for diffeernt kinds of transport, too:

map.search.ch/?pos=682720,212528&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

Pilatus is to the left, just off the map at this zoom level.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 13:55:02 #898212

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! Rockoyster, when you mentioned you can get to Rigi Kulm then down to Arth Goldhau, would that be by train? Please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2018 at 14:45:49 #898213

Hi Lucy-

<<” Rockoyster, when you mentioned you can get to Rigi Kulm then down to Arth Goldhau, would that be by train? “>>

Yes. That is clear on the maps that I posted, and the icons show which stations are train stops in the second map. The term “cog-whell” refers to a kind of locomotive that climbs steep grades by using a gear wheel for traction.

That gear engages a third track, visible in the attached image.

A second image shows what “steep” means on Pilatus. The trains on the Rigi are not so steep.

To get timing for those trips, please use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the instructions page. The timetable computer always offers the fastest routes, unless you enter a mid-way station in the “via” box indicated by “add via.”

If in doubt, the maps allow you to find mid-way or “via” stations by excat name.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 16:09:16 #898214

Hi Lucy,

You can see the route options to Rigi on our page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

It notes which sections are train (or cogwheel train) or cable car / gondola. The cable car runs between Weggis and Rigi Kaltbad and can be avoided on your way up and down the mountain if needed.

• The thread ‘Rigi & Pilatus trips not by cable car still good?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.