Selecting the right Switzerland travel pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 22:09:26 #813331

Hello, i know there have been probably hundreds of questions like this and even more articles i can find online, but my specific case is a bit tricky.

I’ll do it short – i’m going on a trip to Lucerne and Italy on November and so far here are the things i know i will do or really want to do:

– November 22nd: Land at Zurich Airport and take a train/bus to Lucerne

– November 22nd-24th: Stay at a hotel at the Altstadt (Old town) of Lucerne, get to the top of Mt. Pilatus using only the panorama gondolas and the aerial cableway from Kriens.

* I’m not interested in any of the museums or the Transport museum, all the things i will do are in or really close to Lucerne and i guess i will use the boat rides on the lake once or twice.

– November 24th: Take a train from Lucerne to Milan, there i’m planning on renting a car.

As you can see i’m not doing a lot of inter-city traveling, you can sum it in Zurich – Lucerne – Milano, therefore i’m not sure how the Travel Pass will save me money, on the contrary it can just cost me more then i would pay without it. In addition i’m not interested in the Museums free admission i will get with it, and since i’m not doing any special Round Trip to Mt. Pilatus it won’t save me in that part too much either.

So if you were me, would you pay for some of the Passes or i will do better (and cheaper) without it?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 September 2017 at 1:22:31 #870084

Hi argamanza, and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

My bet is that you would find a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half-fare Card of marginal value. For example if you buy a Swiss Half-fare Card you have to spend at least CHF240 on full-fare tickets just to break even.

The only way you can be sure is to use the Swiss Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to figure out full fare costs for your trips and compare that to the costs if you bought and used a pass.

You can get a direct train from Luzern Airport to Luzern. No need for bus (unless you are staying out of the city centre in Luzern).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 September 2017 at 5:14:25 #870085

Forgot to mention that when looking at the timetable the first price you may see offered is “from CHFnn. mm”. Please note that this is the price assuming you have a Half-Fare card. You need to double that to arrive at the full-fare cost.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 September 2017 at 6:51:04 #870086

Hi Argamanza,

I agree with Rockoyster. You won’t be 100% sure until you do the math, but regular tickets could make sense here, or at best a Tell-Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter

You can search for tickets to Milan here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2017 at 21:05:35 #870087

Thank you, that’s what i thought.

I’ll do the math to make sure.

• The thread ‘Selecting the right Switzerland travel pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.