Sending bags, seat reservations, swiss card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2013 at 10:57:54 #806074

Hi,
    I have a few transportation questions. I am planning a “hut to hut” hike in the Bernese Oberland for July. We fly into and out of Zurich and will start in Grindewald then go to Wengen, then to Obersteinberg, then to Murren and then to Kandersteg.

* Can we send our bags via rail from village to village i.e Grindewald to Wengen, Wengen to Murren, Murren to Kandersteg?

* Do we need seat reservations for the Zurich to Grindewald and Kandersteg to Zurich trips?

*I am planning to purchase the Swiss Card for the trip, do I have time to do order it now and have it sent to US (trip is July 10) or is it okay just to purchase in Zurich?

*Does the Swiss Card give offer the same discounts for the Jungfrau and Schiltorn trips as the regional pass?

Thank you for any information.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2013 at 13:34:35 #838961

Hi Kwalter513,

• Yes, you can. You can get the vouchers via this Rail Europe page. Also you can have your luggage transported directly from the US to Grindelwald, and from Kandersteg back to the US. Here are the vouchers for that service.
    • You don’t need to book seats. See here for more details.
    • You can get the Swiss Card here (from the same Rail Europe website) and receive it in about 3 business days. There are no shipping fees and it’s slightly cheaper than buying in Switzerland.
    • You’ll get a 50% discount. Detailed maps of what’s covered can be downloaded from the Swiss Card page and the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland page.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2013 at 13:45:17 #838962

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2013 at 11:25:28 #838963

Hi,
    Another quick question about sending bags ahead, do I need to purchase the vouchers in advance or can we purchase them at the station the day we want to transport them?

Thank you,

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2013 at 12:12:18 #838964

Hello Kwalter513,

As for luggage transport within Switzerland, both options are available.

• The thread ‘Sending bags, seat reservations, swiss card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.