Tourist to purchase Swiss GA travel card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 3:30:26 #815494

Hi goodday!

I am visiting Switerzland in August 2018 for 10 days.Takes train to Bern from Zurich.Staying 3 days in Bern.Going to Wengen from Bern 4 days.Lastly from Wengen to Lucerne for 3 days, then fly out of Switzerland.End of August back to Zurich for 1 night.I learnt that there areGA travel card for seniors.As senior tourist, just stay for 10 days, can I purchase the GA travelcard?

Thanks Regards.

Patricia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2018 at 3:45:40 #883040

Hello Patricia,

I’m not sure how much a Seniors GA Travelcard costs but note “Every GA travelcard has an initial minimum contract term of four months, regardless of the payment interval. After that, you decide whether to continue your travelcard or cancel it at the end of each travelcard month, giving notice of one travelcard month.”

Whilst it is theoretically possible for a tourist to acquire a GA Travelcard is is pretty unlikely to be cost effective.

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 7:01:11 #883041

Hi Patricia,

You probably would like to purchase a Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass)? For this one there’s no senior discount.

A Seniors GA is CHF 260,- a month and as rockoyster mentioned you have an initial minimum contract of four months. Prices for the Swiss Travel Pass can be found here:http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 April 2018 at 2:56:04 #883042

Hello Patricia,

The GA, for “das Generalabonnement”, or AG in French, for “l’abonnement général”, is for people who are residing in Switzerland, and is most often used by businessmen and students. The price of CHF 260 per month is for 2nd class, a great deal for people in Switzerland who are traveling many days of the week, week after week. Unfortunately for tourists who are in the country for short periods of time, it is not an option.

• The thread ‘Tourist to purchase Swiss GA travel card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.