Sept trip Zermatt, St. Moritz: how to continue?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2022 at 21:31:41 #827999

I am trying to plan our trip to Switzerland in September and It is very confusing – I would really appreciate any input you can offer!

My husband and I will be traveling from US to Lake Como (for a friends wedding) to Switzerland. My husband wanted to take the Glacier Express so I have started an itinerary based on it’s availability.

Como to Zermatt, overnight stay. Zermatt to St. Moritz via Glacier Express, 2 nights stay.

Then need help – St. Moritz to Chur to Zurich. Zurich to Lucerne. Lucerne to Interlaken (Jungfrau Region). Interlaken to Chateau de Chillon and surrounding areas then Geneva then back to Zurich. Zurich to US.

Absolutely any suggestions with would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Lisa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    8 August 2022 at 1:01:02 #945299

It helps to know what kind is experiences you want. There’s hiking, serious and/or easy. Adventure types like zip lines or tobogganing, thrill types or just viewing the mountains or lakes. trains and boats? You ask for help from points A to B. Are you asking about modes of transportation. Have you looked at the menus at the top? There are links to Travel in Switzerland. Look at pages about train travel. September is one of the best months to visit.

One other thing, how many days are you planning for on each of the legs? And which towns are you planning your overnights vs day trips from a home base?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2022 at 3:02:42 #945300

Oh-sorry yes here are more details! First, thank you for responding!

“It helps to know what kind is experiences you want“

my husband would like to take a photography type trip- not just landscapes and mountains, but towns, houses, villages, buildings, people, animals anything that is unique to Switzerland. I have personally trekked some of the worlds tallest mountains, so for this trip I would prefer to travel in luxury 🤣 I’ll go anywhere!

“modes of transportation”

I think trains or private drivers?

“home base”

Travel by train to each province for a couple of days for a total of 10 days or whatever you recommend and ending in Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2022 at 3:03:49 #945301

Oh and we can walk or hike anywhere you recommend!

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 August 2022 at 9:08:53 #945302

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining MySwissAlps.

Your initial plan is doable. If you want to avoid switchbacks, you can also plan your route as follows: Como – Lucerne – Interlaken -Montreux/Geneva Zermatt – Glacier Express – St. Moritz – Chur – Zurich.

From Interlaken to Montreux, you can take the Golden Pass train if that fits into your schedule. Please use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and find the right connections. Based on your plans, you might want to think about getting a railpass such as the Swiss Travel Pass.

Below are more useful links to help you plan your itinerary:

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2022 at 12:03:24 #945303

Thank you Anna! I’m going to research your suggestions today! 🥰 the only concern I have is being able to book the GEX – husband wants to try the excellence class- it has very little availability. I will let you know!

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    8 August 2022 at 15:10:57 #945304

Hi Steinylbm,

As mentioned by pvonk, September is a great time to go. It is, however, after the tourist season, and as such, not as crowded, (This can be a good thing depending on ones outlook) but the weather is very nice.

When I went in Sept. 2018 for two weeks, I flew into and out of Zurich (from the US). I had a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass, second class) I had a map of 8 train routes, (which I have attached, along with the web address for that site, below) with the intention of riding on each of the train lines. Then I spent time filling in the blanks based upon that map, and knowing some sights I wanted to see. Then chose hotels based on the itinerary I had in place. Perhaps you might take look through/at that map as it may give you ideas. I would definitely recommend trains over drivers. Pretty much everywhere you want to go is accessible by train.

I would personally (strictly my opinion) not recommend the Excellence class on the Glacier Exp. Its quite expensive and you can pretty much order anything right from your seat in first class. Also probably less of a problem making a seat reservation. (Again, my opinion.)

While in Interlaken (I stayed in Wengen) there was a cow parade one morning that may hold your interest as being fairly unique to the Swiss.

You may also want to think about two days in Zermatt. Its that beautiful there. Also, if your spending two nights in St. Moritz, try not to be there on a Sunday. It is a ghost town. Being after the tourist season, and a Sunday, it was completely shut down, with the exception of a very, very few places. One such place was right on the lake, a nice restaurant called Pier 34. Nice atmosphere and view of the lake.

Hope this may help you in some way. Look through the links Anna has provided and have fun planning and a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/experiences/experience-tour/highlights-by-train-bus-and-boat/grand-train-tour-of-switzerland/sections-grand-train-tour/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2022 at 17:30:18 #945305

Thank you Danielsan!

Excellent information especially about the GEX! I know there is an auto race which will be displaying collectors race and vintage cars in St. Moritz so it might not be as much of a ghost town 🙂 I will definitely look into the Swiss rail pass, for sure! Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2022 at 0:19:49 #945306

I agree about Excellence Class on GEX. It is (arguably) a way of making as much money as possible out of long haul tourists! It is very expensive for a railway journey that can be done for free on ordinary trains with a Eurail Pass!

You might consider changing things round, since you are starting in Italy. You could possibly go from the Lake Como area to Tirano and then on the Bernina Railway to St Moritz. Then head West

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 August 2022 at 7:22:25 #945307

Hi Steinylbm! The Excellence Class can be a wonderful experience, but I understand it’s hard to determine whether it’s worth the additional costs. The outcome of this decision will be different for each individual traveler. Here’s a review by one of our members: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/glacier-express-excellence-class-review.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 5:34:16 #945308

Hi all and thank you for your advice! So far I have 1/2 my trip planned! Zurich – Zermatt – GEX to St. Moritz,

Now I’m stuck! Any suggestions on how to travel from St. Moritz to Interlaken – Geneva?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 10:14:31 #945309

Hi Steinylbm,

From St Moritz to Interlaken the fastest route takes you via Zurich and Bern. The SBB timetable shows this one by default.

For a more scenic route, travel via Zurich and Lucerne. So you can travel via the Golden Pass route from Lucerne to Interlaken: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass.

From Interlaken to Geneva – it is the other part of the Golden Pass route (between Interlaken and Montreux). It will be wonderful. From Montreux you can travel via Lausanne to Geneva.

Ildiko

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    11 August 2022 at 11:39:15 #945310

Hi Lisa,

The only thing I would eliminate from your plan is heading to Zurich from Como on your way to Zermatt. Be best to go to Zermatt through Domodossola/Brig/Visp via Lugano/Locarno. (Might sound confusing but most routes will go that way). This way, after you go to St Moritz (GE), you can continue as your original plan from there, via help from from Ildiko’s recommendations. Once you’re in the Lake Geneva area, its about a two – two and a half hour ride to Zurich, depending from where you depart.

I hope you have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2022 at 20:10:25 #945311

Excellent advice, Ildiko! Thank you. I am going to navigate the SBB timetable and follow your plan.

After everyone’s advice, I will be staying in both Zurich and Geneva for the rest of the trip as to avoid any more switchbacks. I have planned some private guides to take us to the (hidden to the tourists, hopefully) areas we want to visit – we are so very excited! I promise to post photos!

Last question……

Do you recommend that I purchase a multi-day Swiss Travel Pass for the Zurich-Geneva leg of my trip (I do have private guides who offer tranport within the regions).

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 August 2022 at 4:00:09 #945312

Hi Lisa,

If you have guides with private transport,, getting the Swiss Travel Pass might not be cost-effective. A Swiss Half Fare Card might be the better option if you have plans for any mountain excursion.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Sept trip Zermatt, St. Moritz: how to continue?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.