September 2018 trip to Switzerland plan with rail

September 2018 trip to Switzerland plan with rail

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
spaulus69
spaulus69
38 posts
Apr 6, 2018 - 10:07 PM

I'm working on plans for my upcoming trip to Switzerland. I have enjoyed riding the rails in Switzerland. After riding the Golden Pass in 2016 i have set my sights on taking a couple more of the scenic trains in Switzerland.

Landing in Zurich on 13.09.2018 at 08:30 and catching a train down to Zermatt.

2 nights in Zermatt

Glacier Express getting off at Filisur

2 nights in Filisur

Take train up to Davos in the morning and then take Bernina Express down to Tirano, bus to Lugano

2 nights in Lugano

Gotthard Panarama Express to Lucerne

1 night in Lucerne

early morning train to Zurich Airport for flight back to states.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 6, 2018 - 10:49 PM in reply to spaulus69

Very nice.

From Zurich to Zermatt be sure to go via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views. 🤓

spaulus69
spaulus69
38 posts
Apr 6, 2018 - 11:17 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you rockoyster for the advice, will add that to my details...I am thinking I will purchase a half fare pass, I am thinking I will need to do this before I leave so that I can purchase my tickets and reservations for the scenic trains.

I think you were the one that pointed out the photo point of the Landwasser Viaduct near Filisur. I am thinking I will spend 2 nights there so I can walk down to the Viaduct. I also sow something about a nice walk between Preda and Bergun. I think it would have some nice views of the trains.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Apr 6, 2018 - 11:28 PM in reply to spaulus69

You don’t need the buy the Swiss Half Fare Card in order to buy tickets or make reservations. You only need it to show the inspector on the train to prove that you are eligible for discounted tickets.

Still good to order on-line and print at home though.

For long day trips the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) can work very well in conjunction with SHFC. In fact if you use the SBB mobile app to buy tickets it will offer you the SDP as an option if it offers the best price.

spaulus69
spaulus69
38 posts
Apr 7, 2018 - 5:05 PM in reply to rockoyster

rockoyster...the route you mentioned for Zurich to Zermatt?

Do I take a train from Zurich airport to Spiez to Brig to Zermatt?

Steve

Lucas
Lucas
8941 posts
expert &
Apr 7, 2018 - 6:45 PM in reply to spaulus69

Hi Steve,

You'll want to enter Zurich airport to Zermatt "via" Kandersteg on the timetable to get the more scenic route option.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018