September 2018 trip to Switzerland plan with rail

• StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    6 April 2018 at 22:07:01 #815182

I’m working on plans for my upcoming trip to Switzerland. I have enjoyed riding the rails in Switzerland. After riding the Golden Pass in 2016 i have set my sights on taking a couple more of the scenic trains in Switzerland.

Landing in Zurich on 13.09.2018 at 08:30 and catching a train down to Zermatt.

2 nights in Zermatt

Glacier Express getting off at Filisur

2 nights in Filisur

Take train up to Davos in the morning and then take Bernina Express down to Tirano, bus to Lugano

2 nights in Lugano

Gotthard Panarama Express to Lucerne

1 night in Lucerne

early morning train to Zurich Airport for flight back to states.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 22:49:04 #881263

Very nice.

From Zurich to Zermatt be sure to go via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views. 🤓

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    6 April 2018 at 23:17:50 #881264

Thank you rockoyster for the advice, will add that to my details…I am thinking I will purchase a half fare pass, I am thinking I will need to do this before I leave so that I can purchase my tickets and reservations for the scenic trains.

I think you were the one that pointed out the photo point of the Landwasser Viaduct near Filisur. I am thinking I will spend 2 nights there so I can walk down to the Viaduct. I also sow something about a nice walk between Preda and Bergun. I think it would have some nice views of the trains.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 23:28:55 #881265

You don’t need the buy the Swiss Half Fare Card in order to buy tickets or make reservations. You only need it to show the inspector on the train to prove that you are eligible for discounted tickets.

Still good to order on-line and print at home though.

For long day trips the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) can work very well in conjunction with SHFC. In fact if you use the SBB mobile app to buy tickets it will offer you the SDP as an option if it offers the best price.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    7 April 2018 at 17:05:35 #881266

rockoyster…the route you mentioned for Zurich to Zermatt?

Do I take a train from Zurich airport to Spiez to Brig to Zermatt?

Steve

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 18:45:29 #881267

Hi Steve,

You’ll want to enter Zurich airport to Zermatt “via” Kandersteg on the timetable to get the more scenic route option.

• The thread ‘September 2018 trip to Switzerland plan with rail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.