Shaping of my itinerary!! Hopefully finalized!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2013 at 14:16:01 #805851

After reading all over the web, I’ve decided to loosely do this:

Day 1: arrive from paris to geneva. 12:00pm either hang out in geneva or head to montreux. Evening head to grindewald — hotel and rest.
    Day 2: check weather, if it is good, go to jungfraujoch, if not, either do a little winter hiking in the area, or head to lauterbrunnen to look at waterfalls, explore around
    If weather is absolutely horrid, maybe head to bern ?
    Day 3: if already went to jungfrau on day 2, then will do the winter hiking to day. If not, try again on the weather. Boat ride??
    Day 4. Head to zurich. If I really want to hang out more in the mountain, I will just head to zurich later at night. If not, I’ll head early and explore zurich
    Day 5: early flight home to US

I am debating whether or not to bring my snowboarding outfit, I don’t have to snowboard , I go to Lake Tahoe all the time, I just don’t want to miss out enjoying the scenery.

Thoughts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 March 2013 at 6:33:56 #838241

Hi Fayewolf! I think you’ve made a pretty good itinerary. Try to keep it as flexible as possible, so that you can adapt to weather circumstandes just like you planned. If weather isn’t splendid, you can also consider a boat ride over lake Thun or Brienz and combine this with a train ride along the shores back to Interlaken and Grindelwald. And yes, Bern is very nice to see and a great bad weather alternative. So are the Aare gorge, Trümmelbach falls and the Beatus caves, but they aren’t open all year; since you’re thinking of winter hiking I guess you’ll be traveling either early this Spring, or next Fall/Winter?

If you’re mainly looking for scenic beauty, I wouldn’t go snowboarding if I were you. The Grindelwald area is beautiful and offers more than enough for a few days’ stay. There are lots of further scenic viewing points including First, Männlichen and Pfingstegg, but again, it depends on the time of the year whether they’re accessible.

I think you should consider a rail pass for your travel plans. The Swiss Card would be a perfect fit, granting free trips from Geneva Airport to Grindelwald, from Grindelwald to Zurich (Airport) and a 50% discount on trips you make during your stay.

In case you’re looking for a hotel close to Zurich Airport: an overview can be found here. Hotels in Grindelwald and other towns can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2013 at 23:51:33 #838242

Thank you!! I’m definitely getting a rail pass. If it is raining or snowing in the region, what would yu recommend to do?

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 March 2013 at 12:17:03 #838243

Hello Fayewolf,

If there’s snow there may be winter hiking trails or sledge runs that are open. In case of rain I would opt for a town (Bern), a museum, a castle (Thun or Hilterfingen) or the St. Beatus caves.

• The thread ‘Shaping of my itinerary!! Hopefully finalized!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.