Switzerland Dec. 21 – 24 where to go/stay?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 6:17:38 #813655

Hello There,

We already booked our air ticket via Air France from Paris to Basel, our home based will be Basel, actually my original plan want to go to Jungfraujoch or Mount Titlis. When I did more research, we cannot bring 11 months old baby to get up there. For your information, we will be going to Switzerland with my 9 year old boy, 7 year old girl, and 11 months baby.

We thinking of buying the 3 Days Swiss Travel Pass for 2 adults, and the 3 children will be free right?because its inclusive inside the STS Family Card.

After we reach Mulhouse Basel Airport, we can use directly the pass to Basel town for free?

Since that we cannot go up to Mount Titlis and Jungfarujoch, can we do Day Trip from Basel to Zermatt? Because we really want to see and feel the snow, since that we dont have snow at our home Country.

What is your advise for our itinerary?Since that our home based is Basel, is it the right home base?Or we have to change the home based, since that i am not yet booking any place to stay in Basel.

We really love to visit, Interlarken / Lauterbrunnen.

Can you help me to assist on our itinerary?We will go to London through Basel Airport Via British Airways before heading home.

Regards

Ira

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 13:17:00 #871832

Hi Ira and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For rail passes, the adults need to each have a Swiss Travel Pass. You can then add on the Swiss Family Card (free) which covers the children for free travel (the youngest doens’t need a rail pass or ticket at all).

I wouldn’t stay in Basel if your hopes are to visit some mountains and see some snow.
    If you want to see Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen then why not stay there instead? I would go to Lauterbrunnen or Wengen over Interlaken though.
    They are much more scenic towns and are closer to nearby mountains.

You may not be able to go up to Jungfraujoch or Mt. Titlis (over 3000 meters) but you may be ok to travel to lower mountains with your infant? Perhaps 2000 meters is ok? A mountain like Pilatus near Luzern could work.

Be aware that snow is not very likely to happen in most towns (but possible). You will need to go up further in elevation to be in the snow.

Zermatt is quite far as a day trip from towns like Basel or Interlaken – use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips to see how long their durations are. If you stay in the Jungfrau region (Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken and Wengen among others you may not feel the need to go to Zermatt).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2017 at 9:23:03 #871833

Hi Lucas,

First of all thank you for replying my post.

Basically, we already change some of our itinerary, arrived Basel and spend one night in Basel, our plan just want to go free and easy and maybe visit the Chrismas Market.

Second day, from Basel, we go to Grindelwald and overnight there, since that we just want to feel and see the snow.

Third Day, we still thinking either want to overnight at Interlaken, or straight away go to Geneva by Train, since that we already booked our Air Ticket from Geneva to London.

If we do not spend overnight in Interlaken, our plan is just want to visit Bern and Interlaken for a few hours before heading to Geneva.

My question is:

1.What do you think on my Itinerary? Transportation, its confirm that we will take the 3 Days or 4 Days Swiss Travel Pass, does it have any on going discount code now?

2.If we want to spend one more night in Grindelwald?Is it okay?How the weather look like?I am afraid that due to weather we cannot reach Geneva Aeroport on time, since that our departure from Geneva is 3.15pm.

3. If we do not spend one more in Grindewald, which one can you suggest?Bern or Interlaken?Or straight away go to Geneva?

Since that, we still not book our hotel for the Third Night, what is your advise?

Thank You

Regards

Ira

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2017 at 16:28:42 #871834

Hi Ira,

1. So 1 night Basel, 1 night Grindelwald and 1 night in either Grindelwald again or Geneva?
      This seems alright…I’d be tempted to do 2 nights in Grindelwald as there is a lot to see and do in the area
    2. See above. 🙂 No way to know the weather but I would be its cold..around zero degrees.
      Grindelwald to Geneva is about 4 hours with two train changes -see timetable. You’ll want to be at the airport by about 1pm.
    3. I would choose Bern. We have a list of hotels on every town page I’ve linked in these posts to give you some suggestions.
  • The thread ‘Switzerland Dec. 21 – 24 where to go/stay?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.