Short walk/hike to aletsch glacier

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2012 at 7:52:55 #805192

Greetings to the Forum! I have read of a short hike from Riederalp west[station?] to Rieerfurka …about an hour. From there ,are great views over the Aletsch glacier. That’s all the info I found…can anyone offer more details re this hike? I have looked at 3 other alternatives[Unesco trail,Aletch glacier path from Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp and or Bettmeralp,Fiescheralp to Riederalp..no glacier views on this last one] My aim is a short hike,not too strenuous..with views of the Glacier.I will be traveling from Brig,but can only spend a morning at the glacier.
    Any info re this will be appreciated:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2012 at 14:53:16 #835863

I would either

take the Moosalp-lift and walk down the panoramic trail Moosalp – Hohflue – Riederfurka – Riederalp (around 1:10 h) or

walk up from Riederalp direction “Blausee” and “Hohflue” and walk down to Riederfurka and Riederalp (around 2 hours).

From Moosalp and Hohflue you get a breathtaking view from the Aletsch glacier (Riederfurka is too much in the trees).

Map: http://map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&p&layer=wanderwegnetz&X=658800&Y=190500&scale=100000

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2012 at 22:04:21 #835864

Thanks for your reply “muvern” could you please further explain how best to access this walk from Brig…ir+bus gets me to Moosalp,is this the best/quickest way? Once in Moosalp,from where do I take the Moosalp lift..and where do I get off to start this trail ? Is this trail[Moosalp-Hohflue-Riederfurka-Riederalp] well signposted? Thanks,in anticipation of further help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2012 at 1:53:19 #835865

Sorry, the alp is called Moosflue. See pictures:

http://www.riederalp.ch/sites/en/riederalp/cableways/moosfluh_vista_point.html

At Brig you take the small train on platform 11 to Mörel, there the gondola to “Riederalp Mitte” (nearer than the big gondola to Riederalp West). From there it is an 10-minutes walk to the Moosfluh
    chairlift. Once at the top, you will get this marvelleous sight to the Aletsch glacier. From there, follow the ridge – the path to Riederfurka and further Riederalp is well marked (there exists another
    path a little lower through the national park forest).

Timetable Brig – Moosfluh: http://www.sbb.ch

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 5:31:54 #835866

Again ,many thanks for this “clarification” I would again be very appreciative if you would be so kind as to expand on the “walk up from Riederalp in the direction of Blausee and Hohflue direction” etc… From which Riederalp station do I start from.Is it from Riederalp Mitte gondola station where I begin to walk in the Blausee +Hohflue direction?Again is this walk well signposted.Finally…from Your experience which of the 2 you have suggested would be the most scenic? Thanks for your further patience!

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 May 2012 at 10:51:06 #835867

The maps provided with this trail description may be of help to find your way. Everything is well signposted. Please be aware that this is high Alpine terrain. It will be covered in snow until early summer. The lifts will not operate until June or so.

Have fun up there!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 13:32:03 #835868

Sorry to hijack this thread. Might it be possible during a travel day from Wengen to Zermatt to take a side trip from Morel up to the Mooslfluh viewpoint and go on to Zermatt?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 16:08:02 #835869

a) You can start your walk either at Riederalp West, Riederalp Mitte or Bettmeralp – the fastest is Riederalp Mitte. All are well signposted.
    b) The 2 walks are the same, one of them is shorter (chairlift instead walking). The most the scenic trail is Moosfluh – Hohfluh – Riederalp. Panorama map: http://www.infosnow.ch/~apgmontagne/?lang=en&pid=51&tab=map-su
    c) Timetable (every hour): Wengen departure 8:03 h, arrival Moosfluh 11:10 h, hike to Riederfurka and Riederalp inclusive time for lunch. Departure Riederalp West 15:03 h, arrival Zermatt 17;13 h

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 21:09:36 #835870

Finally “sorted”…I hope! Thanks a lot for ALL your help “muveran”….Only hope the weather on the day I have for the Aletsch Glacier visit,allows me great views and a scenic walk.

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 May 2012 at 13:11:18 #835871

[quote]0321recon said: Sorry to hijack this thread. Might it be possible during a travel day from Wengen to Zermatt to take a side trip from Morel up to the Mooslfluh viewpoint and go on to Zermatt?[/quote]

Hello Bob. Do you want to get back to Wengen the same day? In that case, it will be hard to combine this all. A single trip Wengen-Zermatt via Mörel takes more than 5 hours, and that excludes the ride up and down to and from Moosfluh. I assume you’d like to spend some time in Zermatt too, right? In that case you can better take one day for the trip to Moosfluh, plan an overnight stay in or near Brig and spend another day on your visit to Zermatt. The SBB timetable will help you to plan such trips.

• The thread ‘Short walk/hike to aletsch glacier’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.