Should i buy a pass? ParisLucerneZermattVenice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 12:36:33 #811188

Hi all,

My husband and I will be travelling from 15 APR:-

Paris > Lucerne (stay 2 nights )

Lucern > Zermatt (stay 3 nights ) – thinking to take a scenic golden pass route

Zermat > Venice

Any suggestion should i buy a swiss pass or any other recommended pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:47:14 #860510

Hi Erene and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It will depend on how many train trips you will be taking while in Switzerland. The Swiss Travel Pass is the simplest ticket to get to cover all your trips within Switzerland. In the end its best to check prices on all planned train trips and compare to the cost of a Swiss Travel Pass for say 4 nights.

You can also look into the Swiss Half Fare Card which will reduce the cost of all your trips by 50% within Switzerland.

We have a page on How to choose the best rail pass here. It also features an excel sheet to help with any calculations.

It is a little out of the way to take the Golden Pass train (Luzern to Montreux) and then another train to Zermatt, but certainly doable! You could also take a train to Visp and then board the Glacier Express Panoramic train directly to Zermatt (although your time on this train is fairly short compared to the Golden Pass).

Lucas

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 14:48:34 #860511

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll look at the fare comparison.

Could you please advise if its good to spend a 4 days 3 nights in Zermatt?

Is the activities below good to go?

Day 1 : Walk around Zermatt town + Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

Day 2: Gornergrat Bahn

Day 3: Sunnegga + Rothorn

We would like to ski as well, do you know which place is best for a beginner?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 17:28:20 #860512

Hi Erene,

That looks like a good itinerary to me for Zermatt (not too much per day).

How beginner are we? I’ve only skied Zermatt at Sunnegga/Rothorn and Hohtälli and while I wouldn’t consider it difficult (well-groomed and always a non-steep option to get down) I have skied all my life.

Perhaps another member has some other experiences at Zermatt for skiing – You would be best off making a new thread for your Zermatt skiing questions.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 5:50:02 #860513

Hi Lucas,

Thanks! i have saw someone in other forum saying that Sunnegga + Rothorn will be closed in APR, is that true? I have try to look at their website but they didn’t mention anything there.

If i wanted to book a half day or 1 day ski, normally i should book online before arrive or i should stay at 1 of the ski resort and book upon arrival?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 10:10:19 #860514

Hi Erene,

Operating times and dates are listed on their website. Just click on mountain lift schedules – currently they will close April 23.

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Should i buy a pass? ParisLucerneZermattVenice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.