Do I need a Swiss rail pass for Luzern & Lausanne?

• jscanlon64
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 April 2017 at 19:05:44 #811250

My daughter and I are arriving to Zurich airport on September 2 and traveling immediately to Luzern for a few nights. While there we would let to visit Mt. Pilatus (the boat tour, train and gondola). From Luzern we will travel to Lausanne. I am trying to decide if we should take the Golden Pass from Luzern to Montreux and from there go on to Lausanne. Or whether we should travel directly to Lausanne from Luzern, is it more direct? How long would that take? I see on other forums that the Golden Pass takes approximately 6 hours with 3 train changes. Lastly, we are taking the train from Lausanne to Geneva airport. Should I buy a Swiss Travel Pass or a half pass? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 8:50:30 #860896

Hi jscanlon64 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Its best to read up on the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card to help you decide. The STP allows you to just hop on any train without needing to buy tickets each time – so it is very convenient as long as you are using trains, boats and public transit enough to make it economical as well.

You can read details on the options to travel to Mt. Pilatus here. If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass you are totally covered for the trip.

There are direct trains available from Luzern to Lausanne that take a little over 2 hours. Sometimes you may have to make a train change as well depending on date and time of travel. Check schedules for all trains here. Whether you choose the direct train or the Golden Pass panoramic train through Montreux is up to you and how much time you have to spend – it is a very nice trip though!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Do I need a Swiss rail pass for Luzern & Lausanne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.