Should I get a swiss pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2012 at 0:05:04 #805721

Hi
    My husband and I will be travelling to Switzerland from 20th to 24th March 2013. I’d like to seek your advice on which pass should I get for my below itinerary.

20 Mar 2013 – Arriving in Geneva from Paris by TGV around 11.30am and proceed to Montreux by train. We will take bus to Chateau de Chillon for a visit. After that we will take the GoldenPass Line from Montreux to Zweisimmen and train to Lucerne.

21 Mar 2013 – We would like to visit Mt Titlis

22 Mar 2013 – We would like to go to Mt Rigi by taking a boat on the lake lucerne to Vitznau and take the red cogwheel up to Kulm. From Rigi Kulm we will take the blue cogwheel train down to Arth-Goldau train station and would like to go to Zug and back in lucerne.

23 Mar 2013 – Maybe wander around in lucerne old town/ museum.

24 Mar 2014 – We will take train to Zurich and go to Chur. From Chur we will take the Bernina Express to Tirano. And will go to Milan.

Should I get the point to point ticket or swiss pass or swiss flexi or half fare price card? Please advise. Thanks.

Tibbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 December 2012 at 5:42:03 #837847

Hi Tibbie,

The best way to pick your pass is to compare point to point ticket prices to pass prices as explained here. I would estimate point to point tickets to cost about CHF 400 per person for your trip, so you should definitely purchase a pass to save money. A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would provide the most savings, and also the comfort of not having to buy tickets for each trip. You would use it on March 20, 21, 22 and 24, and you still get discounts on March 23. For details and all purchase options, please see the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass page.

If you plan to travel 1st class, then this special offer may be of interest as it provides 5 full days of free traveling.

Hotels near rail stations can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2012 at 8:31:57 #837848

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your advice.
    Can you also advise if we would to go to Jungfrau for day trip on 23th March, is there any pass for a day trip?

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 December 2012 at 8:46:26 #837849

Hi Tibbie,

A day trip to the Jungfrau would also be covered by the pass I suggested. If you don’t have a free travel day, you get a 50% discount on the trip, except for the last section which is 25% off. If you take a pass with 5 free travel days, the trip to the Jungfrau would be free, again with the exception of that last section.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2012 at 9:07:05 #837850

Hi Arno

Thanks. I will probably get the 4 days swiss flexi pass.

• The thread ‘Should I get a swiss pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.