Should I pre-buy tickets Chamonix to Montreux?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 21:59:12 #817052

HI there,

I’m trying to cobble together the best-value ticket combo to travel between Chamonix and Montreux August 6 via the Mont Blanc Express. I will have a carte d’hôte that will give me free travel between Chamonix and Vallorcine. From there, it looks like I can buy a $22 US ticket on SCNF from Vallorcine to Martigny. (Some info on line suggested this was not possible, saying SCNF required purchase of a full-fare ticket from Chamonix to Martigny at a much higher price, but the site today seems to allow for shorter trip ticket.) Then it seems the cheapest option between Martigny and Montreux is on SBB with a supersaver ticket.

So my long-winded question is: should I buy these tickets ahead of time for those rates? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 14:25:54 #890097

Hi Syd65,

If it can be bought ahead of time I don’t see any reason not to. I’ve not heard about those SCNF regulations but I’m also not familiar with their rules.

I do know that the SuperSaver ticket must be bought online ahead of time – it is the only way. https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/discount s

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 July 2018 at 14:51:35 #890098

Hi Syd,

I guess your approach will work, however do note that if you miss your train in Martigny you will need to buy a new ticket as Supersaver tickets are for one train only. As far as I know you can only take another train with such a ticket if the connecting train was included in the Supersaver ticket too. Alternatively you can buy a ticket all the way from Vallorcine to Montreux for € 34.60 via https://en.oui.sncf/en /.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 2:53:00 #890099

>> I will have a carte d’hôte that will give me free travel between Chamonix and Vallorcine. From there, it looks like I can buy a $22 US ticket on SCNF from Vallorcine to Martigny. (Some info on line suggested this was not possible, saying SCNF required purchase of a full-fare ticket from Chamonix to Martigny at a much higher price, but the site today seems to allow for shorter trip ticket.)

Yes, I’ve read quite a bit about that online too.

The Winter 2017/18 brochure for the Carte d’Hôte confirms this as well:

Free train travel is only available between the stations of Servoz and Vallorcine. All journeys outside this perimeter require travellers to purchase train tickets covering their entire journey (e.g. Chamonix-St Gervais ou Chamonix-Martigny).

http://www.chamonix.com/pdf/a vantages_carte_hote_hi ver_2017_2018.pdf

If what you are planning to do with your tickets does in fact work out for you, it would be appreciated if you could confirm this by reporting back after your trip 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 20:33:58 #890100

Rats. Thanks for pointing me to the small print, Alpenrose. I think that answers my question. My cobbling plans won’t work.

Thanks, too, Lucas and Arno, for your helpful responses.

If I discover anything different once I’m there, I’ll let you know.

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 2:29:46 #890101

>> My cobbling plans won’t work.

So you are not intending to get a Swiss Travel Pass? The whole trip Chamonix to Martigny on the Mont-Blanc Express is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 3:11:24 #890102

I’m just working that out. I’ll be in Switzerland 33 days, with four- to seven-day stops in Montreux, Zermatt, Locarno, Ponrtresina, Wengen, Luzern and Basel. So I’m trying to calculate the difference between going for two 15-day consecutive passes ($$!) or going with a half-fare card and a flex pass with some super-saver day passes thrown in. It’s a hard decision. If I go with the consecutive passes, it’ll be pricey, but I’ll be more prone to explore via train, bus, boat, etc., than I might if I was forking out for every ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 6:21:06 #890103

Hi Syd,

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass does give a lot of flexibility for trip planning. Could be worth a little extra cost over the other option (much simpler too!) https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

Have you found our spreadsheet to help with the math on comparisons?
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 14:37:26 #890104

Hi Lucas,

No, I hadn’t found that spreadsheet. Thank you so much for the link. Perfect timing. I’ve had some success finding super-saver day passes available for some of my longer jaunts, so it may just work out to buy those and a half-price pass. But I’ll dig into the spreadsheet and see what I come up with. Again, many thanks!

• The thread ‘Should I pre-buy tickets Chamonix to Montreux?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.