Simple solution for a simple phone?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 22:50:56 #812297

Hi everyone,

Less than a month to go now before our trip. Swiss Travel Passes arrived safely. Lots of plans lined up. Health improving so hoping there won’t be too many limitations on our activities!

There have been quite a few discussions on here about various options for Swiss SIM cards etc. but we both have very, very simple phones – we only use them to make phone calls and send texts! No camera (we prefer real cameras!), no internet (I take my laptop for that). We just need to be able to contact each other if on different excursions and contact hotel to call for shuttle bus from station. We also keep in touch with family back in UK by text messages. (We are away for whole month so like to be able to do this).

I have looked at some of the links on here to see if there is anything suitable for our needs but emphasis is always on internet use and data etc.(not needed in our case so confusing!) – in previous years we haven’t bothered to do anything – just use phones as they are with the UK SIM cards – so my question is – shall we just do same again or is there an alternative that would work with our basic needs and old – style phones?

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 7:02:00 #865244

lyca telecom talking plans are good for you

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2017 at 7:19:10 #865245

Hi Maggie,

If it’s just for a few calls every now and then and no data, I doubt if buying another SIM card is convenient and economical. I think rates for calling in the EU (you’re still part of it currently!) went down this month, or it might have just been data rates. Anyway, a few calls using your UK SIM are probably affordable. Some providers offer “packages” for traveling to keep costs down, but you would have to check that with your own provider.

SIM options for more people who want to be connected to the internet while traveling are discussed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 11:47:15 #865246

Hi Arno

Thanks for your reply – yes I think we will probably not bother with the extra SIM – I am sure the few calls we make won’t break the bank! Rates for EU have indeed just gone down but as Switzerland is not in EU there won’t be any decrease in costs there.

Maggie

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2017 at 11:58:02 #865247

Hi Maggie,

Yes, this is one thing less to plan for I guess. Switzerland is indeed not in the EU but some providers (mine at least) do include the country for EU rates. But even if not it probably won’t be a major cost factor for a few calls.

• The thread ‘Simple solution for a simple phone?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.