Siren call of the Matterhorn...

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
FLhobbit
FLhobbit
14 posts
Feb 13, 2016 - 1:35 AM

Hey there. My family's itinerary has us squeezing Zermatt into one day (actually less than a day since we will arrive there around 11am and leave first thing the following morning to drive into Italy)...in your opinion,am I making the wrong call stuffing in Zermatt simply to lay eyes on the Matterhorn...especially when it may not even be visible...and when I could use that day for better balance on our Italy side of the road trip? What would you do?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6873 posts
expert
Feb 13, 2016 - 7:14 AM in reply to FLhobbit

Hi FLhobbit-

You did not specify a date in this thread or the first one for your time in Zermatt.

Its altitude is 1616 meters, half way between Wengen's 1274 and Kleine Scheidegg's 2061. I wonder if you plan any hikes in the short time that you are there?

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
14103 posts
expert &
Feb 13, 2016 - 8:48 AM in reply to FLhobbit

The weather is indeed a risk. If you have a beautiful day and take the ride up to Gornergrat it will be great though.

FLhobbit
FLhobbit
14 posts
Feb 13, 2016 - 1:26 PM in reply to Slowpoke

It will be June 12. We will only have 6 hours of daylight there. I figured we would do the Gornergrat.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6873 posts
expert
Feb 13, 2016 - 2:38 PM in reply to FLhobbit

Sunset is at 1750.

Civil twilight at 1821.

Don't know how the mountains interfere.

Slowpoke

FLhobbit
FLhobbit
14 posts
Feb 13, 2016 - 3:54 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Have you been to Cinque Terre? If we omit our chancy Matterhorn try, we will be able to hike the trails in Cinque Terre? Seem like a good trade?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6873 posts
expert
Feb 13, 2016 - 4:34 PM in reply to FLhobbit

<<"Have you been to Cinque Terre? If we omit our chancy Matterhorn try, we will be able to hike the trails in Cinque Terre? Seem like a good trade?">>

Have not been there. Vaguely recall some concerns about the trail safety, but that is an unreliable fragment of memory. You might check....8 year olds.....

Surely a lot less snow. ;-)

Slowpoke

Last modified on Feb 13, 2016 - 4:35 PM by Slowpoke

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019