Six nights in Zermatt – Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 12:20:56 #824620

Hi

Hubby and I travelling from Zurich airport to Zermatt on 6th Feb returning on 12th Feb. We are planning on buying Saver Day Passes for both our travelling days. Once in Zermatt we are staying put. However, I can’t decide whether I would benefit from the Half-fare card. When we are there we will want to do the Gonergrat Railway and use some lifts to sight see. I can see this is discounted from 80 CHF to 40. I’m trying to get an idea of the cost of lifts/cable cars that we might use when we are there. Is there a list of these with prices anywhere?

Would be really grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 14:00:07 #926188

Hello caro69,

Thanks your question! With your journey from Zurich airport to Zermatt and the reverse, it’s safe to say it is set in stone. Thus, I recommend purchasing the “Supersaver tickets” with the Swiss Half Fare Card; in combination you can save substantially. However, the amount of Supersaver tickets are limited and they do sell out, so you need to purchase it ahead of time. Please note that you cannot miss your train, otherwise the ticket is invalid and you will have to purchase a new one. I have attached links regarding the Supersaver ticket and the Swiss Half Fare Card:

I will attach a link regarding Zermatt and another with suggested activities near the area. From the Zermatt activities page, click the orange “more” button. It will direct you to another page, and you click “tickets” with the cost of the tickets and the option of “Swiss Half Card,” click that, and you will see the cost you will pay.

In case you decide to venture out of Zermatt, there is the “Swiss 1-day travel pass.” The pass allows one day of unlimited traveling by all trains, buses, boats, city transport and a few mountain transport routes. You can only use the 1-day travelpass if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card though.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 14:32:08 #926189

Hi Suzanne

Thank you very much for your reply and the links.

Although we are flying into Zurich at lunchtime, I think I would be nervous of booking a specific train in case of a flight delay. If I understand things correctly, a Saver Day Pass would mean we could catch any train that day?

It looks to me now that if we are to do the Gonergrat Railway and the Glacier Paradise the savings we make on those, and the reduction in price of the Saver Day Passes, would warrant having a Half-fare card.

I was going to ask about Happyrail having looked at their website, and I now see that Myswissalps speak highly of them which is reassuring as the site looks easy to navigate.

Caroline

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2019 at 15:25:45 #926190

Hello caro69,

Yes, if you’re not sure about delays and such, the Supersaver tickets won’t be ideal. However, the Saver Day Pass would be something for you to consider. The Saver Day Pass allows you to have unlimited travel in Switzerland for one day. Consider purchasing those as soon as possible because the earlier you buy them, the better the prices are, also those passes do sell out. I will attach a detailed link on the Saver Day Pass and a direct link to purchase it:

The link to purchase the Saver Day Pass is also from HappyRail and a trusted partner of MySwissAlps!

I think you made a right choice with the Swiss Half Fare Card! I will attach the Swiss train time table and other practical website links in Switzerland for your reference:

Here is the link for the Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise:

I have attached an additional link with much more mountain lifts in the Zermatt area for you:

You may also obtain prices of the lifts through the SBB time table as well. The time table explains how you can retrieve the prices of the various lifts:

Gornergrat:

Happy planning!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2019 at 0:16:46 #926191

The Saver day pass is better than a supersaver if you are arriving by air as it removes the risk of missing a specific train, as you already know. If you do get a half fare card, the saver day pass will be cheaper, and it will also give savings on the main ‘uphill transport’ in Zermatt including Gornergrat railway and Klein Matterhorn cable car

• The thread ‘Six nights in Zermatt – Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.