Skiing in Jungfrau or Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 18:08:32 #824358

My wife and I just spent 10 days in Switzerland and I cannot wait to go back. It was an amazing trip and it is an amazing country. I hope to return to ski next winter and have a few questions for anyone that is familiar with skiing in either the Jungfrau or Zermatt. We are accomplished skiers and have smoked extensively in the Rockies as well as a couple of times in France.

From looking at both of these areas, it would seem that neither will likely offer the exceptional conditions we have come to love in Utah unless we happen to be exceptionally lucky. But I think the overall experience would be exceptional. I would love to hear your thoughts if you disagree. So on to my questions.

– Both areas have tram, lift and rail service to different parts of the ski terrain. Do lift passes include transport on the rail options such as the train from Wengen to Kleine Scheidig, or the train to Gornergrat? Or does riding those trains require a separate fare or travel pass? How does all of this work?

– The terrain in both areas seems amazing. I am guessing that the snow conditions are more consistently good in Zermatt since it is at a higher elevation. Would others agree? I’m sure there would be areas within each area that would be excellent but suspect the conditions may vary significantly from top to bottom.

– Would staying in Wengen significantly limit our ability to ski the entire Jungfrau area? It would seem that the Mannlichen tram or the train to Kleine Scheidig would offer good access to the different areas and hopefully not be too crowded in the morning since Wengen isn’t very big? We loved our stay in Wengen and think we would prefer to stay there vs. Grindelwald.

– If you were to pick one place, which would it be? Jungfrau or Zermatt? We loved Zermatt too and either destination would be amazing. But from the looks of things, it would seem that the morning ride up the mountain could be busier in Zermatt than Wengen.

– What month would likely have the best conditions and adequate base? February? March? Something else?

– Which area would you pick and why?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Richardi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 November 2019 at 18:29:06 #924549

Hi Richardi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Glad to read that you liked Switzerland and wish to get back. Interesting to learn that you have smoked extensively at various places.

I am more familiar with skiing in the Jungfrau Region. The passes provide access to all skier transport including the trains from Wengen and Grindelwald to the ski resorts. The train to Jungfraujoch (called Jungfraubahn) is included in the pass only to Eigergletscher station. There are two or three types of passes, one for the entire region, and one without the Mürren/Schilthorn area (maybe there is also a Mürren only pass). Then these passes can be bought for various number of days.

< the conditions may vary significantly from top to bottom >

Yes. It is hard to predict in advance. February is better than March with respect to snow conditions. But we have had years with little snow fall, due to global warming. The resort management make sure that there is at least some snow on all trails. Many trails now have snow-making equipment.

Staying in Wengen. See above concerning passes. Going to the First area of Grindelwald would take you more time, otherwise Wengen is ideal. If skiing at First is important for you, you should consider Grindelwald.

As said, February is better regarding snow. On the other hand daytime is shorter, and there will be kids and families enjoying the one-week school holiday (the particular week varies, all February weeks are school holiday week somewhere in Switzerland). Reversely, in March the days are longer and warmer. In 2020, Easter (meaning crowds) is in April.

I am Swiss and my destination selection is not relevant to you. I would go either to Grindelwald or Val d’Hérens in Valais, or to Chamonix in France. Because I am used to go to these places.

Good luck,

Snowman

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2019 at 0:27:59 #924550

Zermatt is the better ski area for advanced skiers IMO. It’s my preferred destination.

I’ve had very few bad weather days on many visits to Zermatt. Some of my pictures attached

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2019 at 5:56:25 #924551

Hello Richardi,

Although I’m not a skier myself please find helpful information about the mentioned regions with regards to skiing and ski passes below:
    Zermatt Ski Pass
    Jungfrau Ski Pass

Regarding the best time of the year for your plans, please see below link. I think both February and March will work. Mid/End February lots of Swiss schools have a week holidays, so that might mean more people on the skiing slopes.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Best,
    Steph

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    4 November 2019 at 13:33:43 #924552

Hi Richardi

According to weatherspark.com the average high in Zermatt is in the low 20sF in February and increases to 30F by the end of March. However the average snowfall is significantly higher in March than February. Of course average numbers don’t necessarily reflect the conditions on a given day or week. As you know the quality of snow in the Rockies is unusually good due to the low humidity as compared to the Sierras or Costal ranges in North America and probably the Swiss alps as well. So you would go for the experience and scenery I would guess.

As with ski resorts everywhere if you want to avoid morning crowds consider staying mid mountain if your budget permits. We’ve stayed several times at Riffelalp, 3 stops above Zermatt on the Gornergratbahn and it is very nice. Also avoid at all costs holiday peak times. President’s weekend, spring break, and week after Christmas are No No’s for me in the Rockies so sounds like parts of February are significantly more crowded in Switzerland than March.

Like you I have skied all over western North America but have stayed in Wengen and Zermatt only in the summer. But to me Zermatt reminds me of Aspen or maybe Vail, glitzy but good skiing. For a more unique and different experience I would take a chance on Wengen. (Personal choice). And be resigned to the likelihood the skiing conditions won’t be like Jackson Hole or Snowbird. Mark

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    4 November 2019 at 13:49:51 #924553

I would think Wengen would be well suited to all the ski areas except around Mürren. I would think a good way to get to First would be the cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen then ski down to Grund, a good long wide cruising run. Then take the 5-10 minute buss to the gondola to First. I would guess the steeper runs would be off First and Eigergletscher station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2019 at 20:08:54 #924554

This is the exact kind of content I hoped to get from this forum. I would not expect us to have conditions that rival the US West at either area unless we just happened to be exceptionally lucky. But either area would provide an experience that is not possible in the US.

Looking forward to hearing commentary from any other skiers out there who have skied one or both of these area.

• The thread ‘Skiing in Jungfrau or Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.