Sleeper train between Basel and Berlin

Sleeper train between Basel and Berlin

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Bhoerger
Bhoerger
7 posts
Jun 11, 2018 - 5:51 PM

Has anyone had experience with the through overnight sleeper from Basel to Berlin? Is this a true 1st-class sleeping car or just a couchette?

In ticketing from Basel to Berlin, does having a Swiss railpass provide any advantage? (We would make this trip in late September and also plan to return from Berlin to Basel via the same service.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 11, 2018 - 8:01 PM in reply to Bhoerger

Hi Bhoerger,

There is no sleeper train service between Basel and Berlin - just a normal train IC/ICE overnight (in a seat).

Austrian railways (ÖBB) does offer a sleep train from Vienna to Berlin stopping at Zurich. Here you can get either a Couchette or a private compartment.

I used this train between Zurich and Vienna and quite enjoyed it.

Last modified on Jun 11, 2018 - 8:01 PM by Lucas
Bhoerger
Bhoerger
7 posts
Jun 11, 2018 - 9:06 PM

Hi Lucas, Thanks for responding.

But when I go to >www.sbb.ch/en/buying&l t; for September 29 (2018), the 21:13 departure from Basel SBB to Berlin Hbf shows both "WL" (sleeping car) and "CC" (couchette car) under the column "Information". Am I mis-interpreting this?

Bill

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2018 - 4:40 AM in reply to Bhoerger

Ah no you're not. The train from Zurich goes via Basel to Berlin. Didn't realize that! :)

It would be the same overnight train I took to Vienna with OBB. It was quite nice in the sleeper car. Very tight though so I hope you don't have too much luggage! The Swiss Travel Pass wouldn't give you any discount as you leave Switzerland and are into Germany right away.

Bhoerger
Bhoerger
7 posts
Jun 12, 2018 - 4:49 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks so much, Lucas, for getting back.

Have you any thoughts about how far in advance one ought to attempt reservations for a Saturday night in late September, especially since we'd be boarding at an intermediate station.

Bill

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2018 - 5:29 AM in reply to Bhoerger

I'd book as soon as you can commit to a date. In Germany there are only a few sleeper trains operating and with Austrian railways only (Vienna - Zurich - Berlin/Hamburg). So it is always fairly busy. It is a popular service. Everyone was pretty disappointed when German railways (DB) cancelled their sleeper trains a couple years ago.

Do be careful on luggage.I'd say 2 carry-on's and 1 large suitcase is all you could fit in the 2 person sleeper car!

Bhoerger
Bhoerger
7 posts
Jun 12, 2018 - 5:59 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks again, Lucas.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018