Sleeper train between Basel and Berlin

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 17:51:31 #816582

Has anyone had experience with the through overnight sleeper from Basel to Berlin? Is this a true 1st-class sleeping car or just a couchette?

In ticketing from Basel to Berlin, does having a Swiss railpass provide any advantage? (We would make this trip in late September and also plan to return from Berlin to Basel via the same service.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 20:01:08 #888057

Hi Bhoerger,

There is no sleeper train service between Basel and Berlin – just a normal train IC/ICE overnight (in a seat).

Austrian railways (ÖBB) does offer a sleep train from Vienna to Berlin stopping at Zurich. Here you can get either a Couchette or a private compartment.

I used this train between Zurich and Vienna and quite enjoyed it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 21:06:21 #888058

Hi Lucas, Thanks for responding.

But when I go to >http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying&l t; for September 29 (2018), the 21:13 departure from Basel SBB to Berlin Hbf shows both “WL” (sleeping car) and “CC” (couchette car) under the column “Information”. Am I mis-interpreting this?

Bill

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 4:40:14 #888059

Ah no you’re not. The train from Zurich goes via Basel to Berlin. Didn’t realize that! 🙂

It would be the same overnight train I took to Vienna with OBB. It was quite nice in the sleeper car. Very tight though so I hope you don’t have too much luggage! The Swiss Travel Pass wouldn’t give you any discount as you leave Switzerland and are into Germany right away.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 4:49:26 #888060

Thanks so much, Lucas, for getting back.

Have you any thoughts about how far in advance one ought to attempt reservations for a Saturday night in late September, especially since we’d be boarding at an intermediate station.

Bill

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 5:29:52 #888061

I’d book as soon as you can commit to a date. In Germany there are only a few sleeper trains operating and with Austrian railways only (Vienna – Zurich – Berlin/Hamburg). So it is always fairly busy. It is a popular service. Everyone was pretty disappointed when German railways (DB) cancelled their sleeper trains a couple years ago.

Do be careful on luggage.I’d say 2 carry-on’s and 1 large suitcase is all you could fit in the 2 person sleeper car!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 17:59:29 #888062

Thanks again, Lucas.

• The thread ‘Sleeper train between Basel and Berlin’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.