Snakes in Switzerland while hiking?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2018 at 14:33:35 #817622

Hi,

I was wondering about the chances of seeing a snake in Switzerland during hiking trails. I am terrified of snakes and would rather not risk seeing one if the chances are high. Are there any ways to deter snakes from attacking if I were to see one?

A trail I was interested in was the walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg

Any tips would be appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    1 August 2018 at 17:01:37 #893061

Cindy,

I have hiked in Switzerland for the last 55 years and never seen any snake.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 August 2018 at 18:58:23 #893062

Hi Cindy,

I’ve never seen one either on numerous hikes since 1997. There are snakes in Switzerland but they’re timid and flee before you would even notice them. So you would be ”lucky” to see one. There are only two poisonous kinds, and even those are only potentially dangerous if you’re allergic. If you can’t read German, then run a translator on the following page for more details: naturschutz.ch/tipps/g iftschlangen-der-schweiz-mythen-und-fakten.

For most animals, cows included, completely ignoring them is best. But snakes will make sure you won’t even notice them 🙂

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    6 August 2018 at 11:55:39 #893063

Cindy, are you Australian? We have the deadliest snakes in the world and caring parents who teach us to be terrified of them ( for good reason).

You are going to Switzerland! One of the most beautiful countries in the world. Worry more about stepping off a cliff! Look up,not down. Arno is right they are more afraid of you – snakes don’t attack and even in Australia, the two ways to get bitten are to attack it (try to kill it) or step on one that is sleeping/sunning itself. And the Swiss ones are not the poisonous type. Don’t let that fear disuade you from getting out on a fabulous walk in Switzerland!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 August 2018 at 12:06:24 #893064

There is a dangerous “biter”, though: the tick. Be informed of the risks ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Tick ), and the prevention methods. Be careful if you hike in the woods, wear pants, a hat, and, if the climate allows for it, a scarf. Check your entire body after each hike.

I was bitten myself two months ago, probably while gardening (in Switzerland), Noticed only when a “full” tick fell on the floor of the shower cabin. Two visits to the doctor, and antibiotics for 10 days…

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    6 August 2018 at 13:02:04 #893065

Ticks are terrible here too – will kill a dog or cat by muscle paralysis!

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 July 2020 at 15:06:38 #893066

Hi everyone,

I reopened this thread because I recently heard from someone who encountered a snake in Switzerland in 2019. It was a viper on a hiking trail in the canton of Ticino. The hiker wore low shoes and was bitten in her ankle. She probably did not notice the viper and stepped on it by accident. As a result, she was hospitalized for 3 days unfortunately.

For me, it was a reminder that hiking should always by done wearing high hiking shoes and long pants – no shorts. Further hiking tips are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    28 July 2020 at 10:57:36 #893067

Sorry Arno I just can’t give up my hiking shorts. Besides one look at my legs will scare 99% of all critters away. Luckily my wife is very myopic.

Mark

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 July 2020 at 14:34:16 #893068

I surely understand Mark 🙂

• The thread ‘Snakes in Switzerland while hiking?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.