Snow and fleet in the Swiss Alps – visit or not?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2017 at 22:36:55 #813743

Hi,

We’ll be visiting Switzerland in about 2 weeks time. We are planning to go to Mt Rigi and Mt Titlis. But the weather forecast says ‘a little bit of snow and fleet’ as well as ‘intermittent snow and rain’. Would these types of weather be suitable to go to the mountains? (although I know it’s still too early to say as the weather might change.)

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:01:54 #872373

In such conditions, I would not expect you would have any views, unless the peaks were above the weather, in which case you might see a sea of clouds below you with mountain peaks sticking out of it. I have attached a couple of photos taken from Titlis in such conditions.

You can check visibility at the top before going up by looking at the webcams:

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Webcams

http://www.titlis.ch/en/ski-resort/webcams

It might also be worth checking Pilatus if the other two have poor visibility.

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:37:35 #872374

Thanks Alpenrose for the pics. It looks great if it can turnout that way on a cloudy/rainy day. I’ll take whatever chance I have since we will be there. Got to put the Swiss Pass to good use since we have bought them. If the forecast says snow, ice and rain for the day, usually for how long would it last? Would going out very early in the morning be a good idea?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:41:53 #872375

Sorry Alpenrose, I left this question out. Does cloudy means foggy? I’m wondering if cloudy would represent something like your pictures in Titlis.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:58:25 #872376

>> Does cloudy means foggy? I’m wondering if cloudy would represent something like your pictures in Titlis.

Yes, those clouds from above were fog at “ground level”. A few more pictures attached showing the foggy conditions at the beginning of the ascent to Titlis from Engelberg that day. On the same day at the top of Pilatus, visibility at the top was absolutely zero.

>> If the forecast says snow, ice and rain for the day, usually for how long would it last? Would going out very early in the morning be a good idea?

It could last all day, especially in December, but you never can tell. You might get lucky.

>> I’ll take whatever chance I have since we will be there. Got to put the Swiss Pass to good use since we have bought them.

If you want to do a mountain trip regardless of the weather, you could pick the ones that are free with your Swiss Travel Pass, i.e. Rigi and Pilatus. Going up will still be an interesting experience.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 4:10:53 #872377

Thank you for the advice Alpenrose. When did you make that trip to Titlis and around what time did you take that gondola ride?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 4:20:43 #872378

>> When did you make that trip to Titlis and around what time did you take that gondola ride?

It was at the end of August last year, around 10 am.

I had originally wanted to go up the day before, but decided not to, because even the top was in the clouds. So I went for a train trip over the Oberalppass instead. If you are interested, I wrote a trip report about it:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/train-across-the-oberalppass-on-a-gloomy-day

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 November 2017 at 9:57:48 #872379

Don’t rely on the weather forecast 2 weeks out. Swiss weather is notoriously changeable.

In May this year we arrived expecting average temperatures of 17C and struck a 3 week heatwave. Very nice apart from the redundant suitcase of cold weather gear. Just saying . . .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 13:45:21 #872380

Thank ypu Alpenrose and Rockoyster. I guess the best way is to check up on the weather the day before and the very morning. Hope the clouds will clear up to make way for the sun from the 10th Dec! 😉

• The thread ‘Snow and fleet in the Swiss Alps – visit or not?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.