Snow chain requirement for my car in Basel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 9:51:02 #819234

Hi

I will be travelling to Basel from UK on 28 for couple of days. Not planning to go any further than Basel by car.

I am a bit confused about the requirement for the snow chain. Do I have to have the snow chains with me if i am only driving into Basel from UK?

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 13:33:22 #900695

Hi Junaidm and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No need for snow chains in Switzerland no – especially if Basel is your only destination.

In general snow tires or snow chains are not obligatory. Snow tires are highly recommended in winter though. **It is not allowed to obstruct traffic because you failed to prepare your vehicle for the local weather conditions. Snow chains may be required on smaller roads in winter.**

More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficregulations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 14:36:11 #900696

Many thanks for confirming that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2018 at 0:30:25 #900697

Heavy snowfall of the sort that would require snow chains is relatively rare in lower altitude Switzerland. Anywhere other than higher altitude roads will generally be cleared of snow quite quickly anyway. In 58 years of travelling to Switzerland in winter I have probably seen snow chains used in a city about once…

• The thread ‘Snow chain requirement for my car in Basel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.