Snow depths/levels for hikes in June?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2011 at 8:26:51 #804750

Is it realistic to plan several days of hiking at the 2000m or above level in the Bernese Oberland? After reading here and other areas on the web I feel I may have gone too deep in my planning for June 2012 in Murren and greater Jungfrau region? Hiking and mountain walking skills are fine, but don’t want to need or use an ice ax for anything but the intermittent small snow field less than 25 degrees or so of slope.

Thanks,
    C.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 October 2011 at 8:35:17 #834389

Hi C,

Well, it’s realistic if you check weather forecasts and local tourist offices for the conditions of the trails. June is a month that could go any way at 2000m or above: if Spring has been warm and the weather is clear in June, there’s no problem on most trails. But there can also be way too much snow for hiking. North or South facing slopes can also make a big difference. It’s good to have an alternative at hand.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    19 October 2011 at 22:52:32 #834390

If you need an ice axe the trails will be closed!

2000 meters is pretty high by Switzerland standards due to the latitude.

June is usually very iffy, sometimes most of the higher elevation hikes are still closed (such as Schynige Platte to First, Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, etc). The high passes (Sefinenfurge and Hohturli) are almost always still closed. But there are some very nice lower elevation hikes. Everything around Lauterbrunnen Valley will be open; you will be able to hike from the valley floor to Wengen or Murren most certainly. There is a nice walk along the river from Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil, also a nice walk around part of Lake Brienz (the Planetenweg). Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg *may* be do-able — or you will certainly be able to get most of the way then take the bus back to Meiringen if you can’t get all the way up.

Bottom line, no way to know until a week before you go. If you can only go in June, go for it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2011 at 23:15:08 #834391

Thank all, we have adjusted to go in August.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    19 October 2011 at 23:21:54 #834392

Excellent! That’s the right choice.

I have a 30+ page document full of tips and advice on the region, written from a Wengen base but easily translatable to Mürren base if that’s what you are set on. Have been there 15 times in past 15 years. If you’d like a copy send me a private message with your email address and I can get it to you.

• The thread ‘Snow depths/levels for hikes in June?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.