Snow in summer for a 7 year old near Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 3:16:14 #817905

Hi there,

I am planning the itinerary for our 7 day trip to Zurich end August and one of the things I would like to do is a day trip somewhere from Zurich to play with snow. Right now the options seem to be Jungfraujoch (which we may skip as its a long journey) and Mount Titlus. However I’d like to know if the only option up to the snow park is the Ice Flyer – which I am not sure my son will ride on as its quite high up. Any other areas near to Zurich where we can play with snow?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2018 at 8:32:44 #894306

Hi Jodyxliu –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

In late August you might welcome a trip to the high Alps, to get away from the heat. The higher you go, the lower the average temperature, although the sun can be quite warming on a clear day. And, you’ll definitely have to go to high altitudes to reach snow in August. Near Zürich, there aren’t any mountains high enough for snow in August. How far (for how much time) would you be prepared to travel ?

Your question confuses me a bit. Probably, i don’t understand your concern.

You are concerned about the altitude at Titlis, if I understand you correctly. Titlis’ highest altitude is 3238 meters above sea level.Yet, you do not seem to be concerned about altitude at Jungfraujoch, which is higher at 3466 meters.

Or, is your concern the type of open chairlift used for the Ice Flyer?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 13:51:08 #894307

Hi there,

My concern was the height of the ski lift as that seems to be the only way to get up to the snow park. I’ve done more research and Zermatt seems to be a good option. Any idea if there are areas for playing with snow and not skiing/ snow tubbing?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2018 at 14:33:16 #894308

Hi Jodyxliu –

<<“and Zermatt seems to be a good option. Any idea if there are areas for playing with snow and not skiing/ snow tubbing?”>>

I don’t know the area well enough to answer that.

I will comment that the time to get there will be essentially the same as the time to Jungfraujoch, which cause you some concern.

Zürich to Jungfraujoch takes 4 hours and 3 minutes. Zürich to Zermatt, 3 hours 19 minutes, But, then you have to go up. Zurich to Trockenersteg -the intermediate stop on the way up to Glacier Paradise at Zermatt, which might have access to snow fields, takes 3 hours 54 minutes to 4 hours 2 minutes.

I haven’t looked specifically, but there are webcams at Jungfraujoch. Probably some at various Zermatt locations.

Perhaps one of these tourist offices could help?

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Cont act/Tourist-office

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 15:44:54 #894309

Yes, at that point I’d head for Jungfraujoch. It is the only way to avoid a cable car to get up the mountain high enough to have snow on it. http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 15:47:16 #894310

Hi Lucas, actually cable cars are fine I think, not too scary

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 16:00:35 #894311

Ah ok, right, the chairlift.

It isn’t too scary – kids usually get kick out of it and it isn’t as high up as many cable cars either. 🙂
    Zermatt could then work as well as Jungfraujoch – now you get the hard part of choosing!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2018 at 16:02:15 #894312

The chairlift is at Titlis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 17:40:24 #894313

Hi

we were at titlis, with our 9 year old. There were many kids younger.

i was more scared than he was.

just put him in the middle of both parents hold me or both parents can use one arm each to make an X over his body

i will upload a picture from the ice flyer tonight for you to see if it helps.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2018 at 17:44:15 #894314

Good idea.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 17:53:31 #894315

Yes, I got that.

Zermatt was a separate sentence – in case they want to go there in the end as the cable car height won’t be an issue. 🙂

• The thread ‘Snow in summer for a 7 year old near Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.