Snowy Swiss mountains with Swiss Travel Pass, Oct

• Lia_swiss
    Participant
    4 posts
    21 September 2022 at 19:17:09 #828398

Dear All,

I’m going to Switzerland on 9-11 october.

I’m planning to buy the Swiss Travel Pass for my transportation while in Switzerland. Can you please recommend, which mountain with snow should I visit with my Swiss Travel PIss so i dont need to pay more? Or at least I only need to pay a little?

FYI, my hostel in Interlaken

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 23:11:40 #947178

I am sorry to say that you won’t get up into the ‘real’ snow level in October without paying ‘more’. Switzerland is a very expensive country and unless you stay at low altitude the various tourists passes do not get you up high mountains for anything other than quite a lot of money (even with discounted prices).

The highest altitude locations on the Swiss railway network with ‘free’ travel with Swiss Travel Pass are:

Ospizio Bernina (2253m asl)

OberalpPass (2033m)

Stanserhorn (1898m)

St Moritz (1775m)

Arosa (1739m)

Rigi Kulm (1752m)

Murren (1639m)

Davos Wolfgang (1625m)

Zermatt (1605m)

Some other high places are served by bus, but they may not run in October

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 23:39:39 #947179

In addition to what I have already said, there are some high mountain pass roads that have buses free with Swiss Travel Pass, but for the very reason of snow risk, these stop running in early October, for example:

Susten pass bus (highest point reached= 2264m), last bus 9 October

Furka Pass (2429m), last bus also 9 October

Lia_swiss
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 September 2022 at 4:13:17 #947180

thank you for your reply

so, what do you think is my cheapest option to see and touch snow in october?

Do you think its better to go jungfraujoch because i got 25% disc for train or go to mt titlis or any other option?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 9:21:49 #947181

Titlis, Jungfraujoch or Klein Matterhorn. Or look at the weather forecast – it may already be snowy on the top of the Bernina Pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 19:11:31 #947182

Hi Lia swiss and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

As 1960man wrote, Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Klein Matterhorn are the tops, where you can find snow for sure.

You can find the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

What is your itinerary so far? Maybe you should get an other pass, so you can visit a snowy mountain pass, that is included in that pass?

If you visit the Lake Lucerne area instead of the Jungfrau region, you can buy the Tell Pass Summer and you can visit Titlis for free. See the validity map and list here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/validity. Here are the prices of the Tell Pass Summer: http://www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/price. But in this case, you should change your hostel in Interlaken to an accommodation in Lucerne.

If you would like to check the weather, I recommend the SwissMeteo app.

Ildiko

Lia_swiss
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 September 2022 at 19:34:13 #947183

Hi,

thank you for your reply

too bad i cant cancel my hostel in interlaken.

So far, i’m planning to go to lake brienz, kleine scheideg, sigriswill, lauterbrunen, staubach fall. i’m planning to go to some movie spot crash landing on you korean drama and my friend want to see snow.

the problem is we only have 2.5 days. so we need to make the best of it. we’ll arrive early in the morning at luzern from venice by bus and planning to take panoramic train to interlaken. it’s another reason why we planning to buy swiss travel pass

so what do you think the best option for us?

btw, if i buy swiss travel pass, can i use train to go to strasbourg for free? and then buy ticket to paris from strasbourg?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 21:42:54 #947184

Strasbourg is in France, so no you can’t use the Swiss travel pass to reach Strasbourg. You should get a TGV Lyria from Basel to Paris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 21:57:04 #947185

Here’s what I suggest

You are due to arrive in Luzern early morning, therefore I suggest the following:

Buy a Tell Pass, not a Swiss Travel Pass.

Retain your hostel in Interlaken

Travel from Interlaken to Titlis for free all the way

Visit other attractions in the Tell Pass area

Buy a separate ticket Luzern – Basel – Paris. You can do this on the TGV Lyris web site:

http://www.tgv-lyria.com/fr/en/booking/special-offers/lyria-promotions/combined-offers-switzerland

Lia_swiss
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 September 2022 at 12:21:27 #947186

hi, thank you all for your reply

i’ve discuss with my friend since one of them already go to mt.tittlis so she prefer to see other place.

so far this is our itinerary

Day 1

arrive at luzern 5am

luzern-interlaken panorama train arrive at 8am

keep luggage+shower at hotel

hohrnmatte for picnic brunch

schloss schadau

castle thun

panoramic bridge sigriswill

grabenmuhle sigriswill

lake thun boat for sunset

Day 2

zermatt-klein matternhorn

Day 3

Iseltwald pier at lake brienz at 6.30 to see sunrise

lake brienz boat

Giessbachwasserfall boat station at lake brienz

back at hotel 1.30pm

go to basel at 3pm

basel-paris at 6.34pm

what i want to ask, for day 1, what is the best itinerary if i want to finish with lake brienz boat to see sunset at around 6pm?

and for day 3, is there any free park or sightseeing that i can see while in lake brienz?

i will buy swiss travel pass, beside cable car for klein matternhorn, is all my transportation free?

Last question, is train basel-paris is the cheapest one or is there other place that cheaper?

thanks all for your help

Anna
    6355 posts
    24 September 2022 at 16:38:29 #947187

Hi Lia swiss,

Your revised itinerary is doable. You have a lot of sightseeing planned on Day 1 so I think a boat trip on Lake Thun is sufficient. You should stick with doing a boat trip on Lake Brienz on Day 3. Brienz is a small village but the it has great views of the lake and you can take a short walk around the village if you have time.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you only need a to arrange a discounted ticket from Zermatt to Gornergrat. The rest of you trip is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You can download and view the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Recommended purchase options can be found here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

For tickets from Basel to Paris, you can find ticket information and maybe some good deals here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2022 at 1:06:46 #947188

Please understand that the sunrise and sunset might not be as spectacular as you imagine. In the Alps, the sun can sink behind mountains long before ‘sunset’ and rise long before the sun becomes visible above mountains, so I suggest you do not plan your entire days around ‘sunset’ or ‘sunrise’.

Sunrise on 9 – 11 October in the Interlaken area will be at 07.37 and sunset at 18.53

Specifically to your supposed itinerary, there is no Lake Thun boat service in October around sunset. In the early October period, there are no Lake Brienz boats at Iseltwald until 10.45

• The thread ‘Snowy Swiss mountains with Swiss Travel Pass, Oct’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.