Which day trips from Bern after conference?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 12:23:01 #822245

Hi, Iam visiting Bern for a confernce and will have couple of days in hand. I would like some advice for the free time on hand. My conference is for 3 days i.e 19,20,21 of June 8am to 6pm at the University of Bern. Is there some sight seeing I can do after 6pm on these days?

I have the whole of 22nd and most of 23rd till I take my flight from Zurich at 10pm. I would like to make some scenic train, cable and funicular rides. What is the best I can do in the given time? I have booked my accommodation in Bern.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    13 June 2019 at 14:49:51 #915042

Hi Manoj Nair! I noticed you asked the same question in your previous topic: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/short-lone-trip-to-bern. You received quite some tips there. If anything is not clear yet, please let us know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 16:39:56 #915043

Hi, yes I would like to know a few things that I could not find answers to.

1) If I buy a super saver ticket online for travel from Zurich Airport to Bern is it valid only for that particular train? can I use that ticket for another train if my flight is delayed? What are my options then?

2) Can I manage some trips/ sightseeing after 6pm on the days Iam attending the conference?

3) I have to have my base in Bern. So I have to travel back to bern for the night. So my radius of travel would be limited.

4) When I check out from Bern on Sunday, I would have luggage with me(1 large suitcase). Can I leave my luggage at some locker facility at a station and pick it on my way to Zurich Airport? My return flight from Zurich is at 22.30hrs on 23rd Sunday.

5) Is Zurich Rail station and Zurich Airport rail station the same or at different locations. How far apart are they?

What travel pass would be best for me. I was narrowing down a 3day Swiss pass for 21,22,23rd

5)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 4:44:04 #915044

Hello Manoj,

Let’s see if I can provide some input to your questions.

1) The supersaver tickets are LIMITED to one SPECIFIC TRAIN, so if you miss that train, you need to get an entirely new ticket for the following connection. This option is a tricky one for arrival days, as you say, flights can always get delayed, and you might entirely loose that ticket, which would be a silly start into a holiday. I would rather look at a Saver Day Pass instead:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

2) The timetable link will help you calculate travelling times to closer destinations:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

4) I assume you will be staying in a hotel, right?! Normally hotels will store your luggage for you on the day of both arrival and departure, shouldn’t be a problem. Alternatively you will find lockers in both Bern and Zurich train station.

5) NO, Zurich HB and Zurich Flughafen (airport) are NOT the same station, they’re about a 15 minute train ride apart.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich

To figure out which rail pass suits you best you first need a clear itinerary and can then use the spreadsheet in below link for detailed calculations:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Best,
    Steph

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 June 2019 at 23:49:09 #915045

One trip you could take by train is to Morat (Murten), where the sunset from the old city, looking over Lake Morat (Murtensee) and Mont Vully, with the Neuchâtel Jura beyond is very nice. See attached photo taken by a friend in Morat just a few days ago. The train trip (via Kerzers) takes anywhere from about 39 to 48 minutes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 12:28:04 #915046

Just landed in Zurich. Will follow your suggestions. Thanks a lot. This forum is one of its kind. Keep doing the good job

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 12:34:08 #915047

Welcome to Switzerland, then!

What a nice summer day to start a trip!!!! 🙂

Enjoy and thanks for your compliments..

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 17:18:47 #915048

Ok, my conference is over and Iam planning a trip to Jungfrau and on my way back to Bern enjoy a boat ride on the Lake Thun. on Sunday morning plan to go to Luceriene and the Zurich in time to take my 10pm flight. I was planning to buy a 3 day Swiss pass for all this travel. I understand I still will have to buy a discounted ticket for Jungfrau. How do I do that. Till which place is the Swiss pass valid, on my trip from Bern to Jungfrau?

Is a physical print out of the Swiss pass required or the email on my phone would be sufficient?

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 June 2019 at 17:34:31 #915049

Hello Manoj Nair,

Great that you can start exploring Switzerland now! You can buy your Swiss Travel Pass through any of the retailers listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. Officially you need to carry along a printed version. In most cases the personnel can scan the code on your phone, but sometimes the paper version is asked for instead.

Your Swiss Travel Pass is valid as far as Wengen or Grindelwald, and you’ll need an additional 25% discounted ticket to and from Jungfraujoch. The Swiss Travel Pass validity map at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity helps you to find out such details, as well as myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/tickets. You can get your discounted tickets at a railway station along the route, or online in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 18:03:45 #915050

Thanks a lot. God Bless.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 19:03:38 #915051

Dear friends, its an end to my short but fruitful and fulfilling first visit to Switzerland. Just for the benefit of new tourists on a short visit Iam describing my itienery.

On Saturday morning I bought a Swiss Travel pass from Bern train station for 3 days knowing well I would be able to use it only for 2 days as I am flying out today,Sunday night. Started my trip from Bern as follows.

Train Bern>>Thun>Boat>>Spiez> Train>Zweisimmen(Cable car ride to Rinderberg and back)> Panoramic GoldenPass train>>Mountrex> Train >> Glion>Funicular ride down to Territet>Mountrex> Panoramic train back and back to Bern.

Sunday Bern to Interlaken Ost to Grindalwad, explored the nice little town, back to Interlaken West. Boat ride to Thun then back to Bern and now Zurich Airport.

I think given the time constraints I could savour an all round slice of Switzerland!! I know its not enough and trust me I will be back with my family for a longer trip. This was all possible due to the selfless enthusiasts on this forum. Kuddos to you all for such a wonderful experience.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2019 at 9:39:15 #915052

Hello Manoj and thanks a million for your feedback!

It’s lovely to hear you’re planning to return with your family and also that you received helpful input here on MySwissAlps.

Would it be too much to ask you to copy-paste your above post into a new thread in the “trip reports” forum, so that members can find it more easily?! Maybe together with one or two photos?!
    If you don’t have the time, then don’t worry. 🙂

Kind regards and looking forward to supporting your next Switzerland itinerary, if needed!

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 3:10:21 #915053

Hi.

I will put do that asap. Thanks a lot and my best wishes to all.

• The thread ‘Which day trips from Bern after conference?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.