Special things to buy from Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 19:42:01 #822141

Hi,

I am planning to visit Basel in August.

Please suggest if there are any special memorable things we should buy which is speciality of Swiss?

Also advise on any famous vegeterian food?

Thanks
    Ashish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2019 at 10:40:23 #914635

Hello Ashish,

Well, there are quite some things considered Swiss, are you talking about food? Handcrafts? Anything?

I’ll try to give you a selection of things I consider Swiss and recommendable.

In Basel itself there is a speciality called “Basler Leckerli”, which is a special sort of biscuit with nuts and spices, comparable, but not identical to gingerbread biscuits.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ba sel

Chocolate is for sure a speciality of Switzerland, there’s various famous brands, like e.g. Lindt, Teuscher, Frey and Läderach, whereas Läderach is MY absolut favourite.

Cheese is very popular, e.g. Emmental, Gruyère, etc.

You might want to look at the Swiss Snack Box offered in below link, a nice offer to enjoy local food throughout Switzerland:
    http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en/experiences/route/t he-grand-tour-snackbox/

When talking about handcrafts cowbells are also a popular and typical souvenir to buy from Switzerland. They are available at most souvenir stores in various sizes.

Also the Swiss Army Knife is a popular and very practical souvenir from Switzerland.

Hope this provides some input. Maybe other members have more ideas too.

If you were talking about something totally different feel free to get back to us anytime.

Happy planning.

Best,
    Steph

Also check:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/culinarytours

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 June 2019 at 3:30:14 #914636

Regarding pocket knives to buy in Switzerland. “Swiss Army” is the trademark for knives manufactured by Victorinox AG, headquartered in Ibach, canton Schwyz. Their rival for many years was Wenger SA, located in Delémont, canton Jura, which made its own line of Swiss Army knives and also had the right to call them “Swiss Army” knives. The two companies both supplied knives to the Swiss military. In 2005, Wenger was acquired by Victorinox. However, there is a new “kid on the block” as far as knives are concerned, a company called Swiza SA, also headquartered in Delémont, canton Jura. You might want to check out their knives as well. A few years ago I bought one they made to celebrate the Swiss Post (PTT) and this year they have created one to mark la Fête des Vendanges, being held this Summer in Vevey, canton Vaud. I’m going to get one of these as well. See attached photo of the knife, which will surely be a collector’s item.

By the way, if you do buy any pocket knives during your visit, don’t forget to put them in your checked bag when you return to India.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 June 2019 at 8:19:32 #914637

And here (photo attached) is the SWIZA CarPostal knife I purchased in 2016 !

There is a newer and quite different (the handle looks like a tire tread) SWIZA CarPostal knife available and this can be ordered at the following link: http://www.postauto.ch/fr/sho p/couteau-suisse-carpostal-de-swiza And here is a short video about it: youtu.be/UO9IyiKsPzM I’ll have to get one to add to my collection.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 June 2019 at 11:51:18 #914638

If you are allowed to eat cheese, then the local dish would be fondue or raclette. If it is to take aback home, there are packs of ready-made chese fondue, but mind the fact that a special pot is needed to heat the fondue, and a table stove to put the pot on while eating. If dairy products are ok, then, of course, chocolate.

Fully vegetarian would be the Engadina walnut pie (Engadiner Nusstorte), made with dough, walnuts and honey. And Birnel, concentrated pear juice. Or just Swiss honey.

…and a lot more, such as meringues (made with eggs, though), wine, fruit brandy.

For vegetarian dishes in a famous Basel restaurant, go to Zum Isaak on Münsterplatz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 19:01:30 #914639

For some non-edible alternatives, you might consider a Swiss topo Wanderkarte (they’re works of art!), or a flag from your favorite Swiss canton (I especially like the ones from Uri and Bern cantons). Easy to pack!

Interesting that no one has mentioned watches… I guess no one wears them anymore, with smartphones always at hand. Schade…

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 19:36:56 #914640

Thanks everyone for your response.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 June 2019 at 21:41:45 #914641

Hi Nevertoolate,

<< For some non-edible alternatives, you might consider a Swiss topo Wanderkarte (they’re works of art!), or a flag from your favorite Swiss canton (I especially like the ones from Uri and Bern cantons). Easy to pack! >> You have some wonderful ideas here ! I find the one from canton de Genève very colourful, however you don’t have to restrict your choice to the 26 cantons, as the Swiss communes also have their flags. The attached photo shows la pyramide des drapeaux which was at the Swiss Expo 1964 in Lausanne. This was our first school trip that Fall. There were about 3000 flags on this pyramid. The second photo I attach is the flag of the Commune de Neuchâtel, one of my favourites. 😉

One can also look for a stained glass of one’s favourite canton, which you can hang in a window when you get home. The one I have is 14 cm wide by 28 cm high. Of course, one will hopefully find a place to hang a flag if it is a larger one. And they do pack so nicely !

An excellent suggestion about the SwissTopo Wanderkarten maps, and might I suggest a map or maps from the areas where one has visited ?

Something else for someone who wants to splurge a bit more, how about a SBB CFF FFS railway wall clock ? I attach a photo of the one I have in my office.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 June 2019 at 3:51:01 #914642

I’m not sure if this string is dead or alive, but here is another knife that people might want to consider as a souvenir from Switzerland, particularly if they have done some of their travel on the PTT postal cars. I’ve not seen this in any store and in fact was not even aware of its existence, but I just found it while surfing around Ricardo.ch, a Swiss on-line auction site. It is selling for CHF 48.00 and is an “achat direct” equivalent to a “buy it now” on eBay in the USA.

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    18 June 2019 at 18:27:57 #914643

Hi Ashish,

We are just about to leave Switzerland after a wonderful trip. We have bought some different brands of chocolate, some coffee mugs with different Swiss designs on them, and a little filigree Christmas tree decoration. Also bought some Victorinox Swiss Army knives for gifts – if you shop around some stores offer free engraving – we had the recipients names engraved on them as a personal touch (and so our two nephews don’t argue whose knife is who’s!!).

There are many souvenir stores everywhere, with a huge selection – tea towels, stationery, calendars, key rings, cowbells, and the list goes on, just depends what you’re into, how much room in your luggage you have, and how much you want to spend.

Have a great trip!

• The thread ‘Special things to buy from Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.