Question about the Bernese Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2018 at 23:14:50 #817661

Hello,

My daughter and i will be landing in Zurich at the end of august and spending 2 nights in Unterseen, 3 nights in Wengen and the last night in Lucerne before heading to the zurich airport again. I’ve researched and think the 6 day Berner Oberland Pass is the best one for us and what we want to do. My question is to travel from Zurich to Interlaken it is not covered with the pass. But lucerne or bern to interlaken is. Would I pay for a ticket to say, Lucerne, and then use my Berner Oberland Pass for the rest of the journey to Interlaken? And then returning to the Zurich airport, my travel to lucerne on the BO pass would be covered correct? And the next day I purchase a ticket for the train to the Zurich Airport? Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2018 at 8:28:45 #893217

Hi Lynn,

Yes, exactly, you’ll just need a ticket from Zurich airport to Lucerne and then rest of the trip is covered. Going to Interlaken from Luzern is the more scenic option over Bern but takes a little longer.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trips to any town or mountain. Enter Zurich airport to Interlaken via Lucerne for example to see the trip duration, connections etc. But only buy a ticket to Lucerne. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

You can buy the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpassbern eseoberland/price – it can be emailed to you within 1 business day to print at home.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2018 at 15:47:36 #893218

Thanks for your response Lucas! So if I need to get a ticket from the zurich airport to Lucerne, is this something I do ahead of time or can I just buy tickets when we arrive in the airport and get to the train? And when we return to the airport from Lucerne is it the same? Just buy a ticket that day from the Lucerne station? Or do I have to know times and purchase specific tickets ahead.

Thanks again

Lynn

Arno
    15481 posts
    4 August 2018 at 17:05:34 #893219

Hi Lynn,

You can buy those tickets at the train station or online: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price. Whichever option is most convenient for you. Tickets are valid for the chosen day, the time doesn’t matter. So you can take any train that suits you.

maniimjach
    Participant
    32 posts
    4 August 2018 at 20:36:08 #893220

I just did the same trip about a month ago. You will be buying your train ticket in Zurich and will show your BO pass. You will be only charged for the Zurich Lucerne leg of this trip. Be prepared to show BO pass and your passport on the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 0:50:17 #893221

Thanks very much for your replies. I have one more question. We will be staying in Lucerne right next to the train station for our last night in Switzerland and fly out of Zurich the following day at 12:30 pm. Do you think it’s doable to get to the Zurich airport (for a flight on Swiss Air to Amsterdam) from Lucerne via train for a 12:30 flight? Not sure if this is too far a distance or transfers that will take time. I didn’t really want to stay in Zurich if we didn’t have to.

Thanks again,

Lynn

maniimjach
    Participant
    32 posts
    8 August 2018 at 1:10:35 #893222

We did the same thing – staying in Lucerne and getting to Zurich airport in the morning. My hotel was walking distance from Lucerne train station. Go to Zurich airport website and have a little tool where you can say where you are flying to, where you are getting to zurich from and it will show you what train you can take. I think my flight was around 10am, so I needed to be in the airport around 8. Take a look at the schedule and see what train will get you there about 2 hrs before your flight. Keep in mind – Zurich train station is across the street from Zurich airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 8:40:29 #893223

Hi Lynn,

you can use my link for the SBB timetable on my reply to you earlier to find travel time from Lucerne train station to Zurich airport. It is about an hour and there are direct train options. Usually airlines want their guests to arrive 2 hours before the flight – lots of time to get there from Luzern.

I think maniimjach’s statement is a bit confusing:

Zurich’s train station is in downtown Zurich. It is not across the street from Zurich airport. The airport does have it’s own train station though (just called “Zurich airport” or Zurich “flughafen” in German) which is right below the airport (so you walk upstairs and take an overheard walkway to the actual airport.

When searching the timetable search Luzern to Zurich airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2018 at 1:10:07 #893224

Thanks so much for all your help. It makes traveling so much easier to get some info ahead of time.

• The thread ‘Question about the Bernese Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.