Spring Sale €80 or $100 off rail passes/tickets

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2019 at 19:31:23 #908865

Thanks Arno for this post.

After waiting for weeks, I made up my mind this evening to complete my STP booking over the upcoming weekend since my travel is next week and I happened to discover this promotion on RailEurope India site by chance and immediately came here to verify. Couldn’t be happier !!

Just completed 3 bookings for 2 adults and their kids in each. We have all received confirmation email however no further email with tickets yet.How much time should be allow for the tickets to arrive in our email box ?

Thanks

Rohan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2019 at 20:44:28 #908866

The fine print on the raileurope website under conditions says they will be issued within 2 business days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2019 at 20:48:24 #908867

Raileurope is a little more expensive than happy rail for travel passes. With this promo if you buy 2 first class 15 day consecutive passes you save 37 CHF or $52 AUD per person when you get the full $120AUD discount compared to the same tickets from happyrail. So it is worthwhile.

If you spend over $599AUD the usual ticketing service fee is waived.

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    10 April 2019 at 2:49:09 #908868

Waiting to get Swiss Half fare Card.

RailEurope.com.au price with discount is AUD 170.

HappyRail.com no discount is AUD 165.

Go figure.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2019 at 4:58:35 #908869

Hi Rohan,

Glad to hear that! Paddington is right: it takes a few business days at the most to receive the pass via e-mail, usually less. Do check your spam folder as well.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 April 2019 at 5:04:32 #908870

Hi Arctic Wolf,

AUD 170 is the price before the discount is applied. But do note that a minimum order value of AUD 1040 applies to make the promo code work. In that case you’ll get AUD 80 off, so that would result in a net price of about AUD 159 per Swiss Half Fare Card. You’d need to buy 7 cards to reach that amount though, or combine with other products such as point to point tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2019 at 2:56:19 #908871

Has anyone actually been able to use this? When I apply the promotion to my cart it shows correctly, but when I go to checkout the price shown right above the credit card does not include the promotional discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2019 at 4:02:34 #908872

Yes. I have used it and I think I know what you mean.

The last but one screen ( which allows you to select a protection plan and mentions about waiving off service charges ) shows the price without the discounts but when you proceed to next screen to actually enter your credit card information. The price with discount shows up.

Above is my experience with RailEurope.co.in website. I believe the experience will be similar on their sites for other countries.

The website itself is very poorly designed and scores least on experience.

Its been 34 hours since I have booked my passes and I am yet to receive my passes in email. The fineprint on the order confirmation email says that we should receive it in 2 days. Very Strange in this digital age 🙂

Sorry about the rant but thought its important to let everyone know what they are signing up for. There is more but I will limit myself to this

Thanks

Rohan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2019 at 4:07:22 #908873

@Rohan it is the page where you enter the credit card info that it is wrong. Is there another page after that? I’m afraid to click the button because it feels like the last one. Please let us know when you receive your email.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2019 at 4:12:59 #908874

No. For me, the page where I entered the credit card information showed me the discounted price.

I would suggest to wait for response from Arno on this. I had read on on their page, that this is a limited offer and is available for first 581 orders. Not sure if they have reached that number. Its best for Arno to respond on this.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 April 2019 at 6:52:18 #908875

Hi Eric and Rohan,

I tried and indeed they show the wrong amount during one of the steps. The last step, where you fill out your actual credit card number, shows the correct amount. I attached screenshots of all 3 steps.

I’ll pass this on to them as it’s not overly clear.

The reason that delivery takes a few days is that they still have a manual step in the process of issuing passing. Some others don’t have this and in those cases it takes a few minutes typically. I expect Rail Europe to make that available as well in the future.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2019 at 18:35:07 #908876

Hi,

I need to buy four STP (two 3-days and two 4-days pass) and my total coming $1030. To use the promotion total must be $1100 (USD). But if I use Canadian or any other county site I am able too use the promotion as they have promotion for total less than $1100. Is it ok to buy pass using other country site even if I live in USA?

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2019 at 5:45:46 #908877

Hi Arno,

Many thanks

The promotion also applied for Indonesian, I bought mine already

http://www.raileurope-asean.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82

Thanks again,

Wira

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2019 at 5:47:27 #908878

Thanks Arno. I received my passes in my email a while ago.

Regards

Rohan

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 April 2019 at 5:58:07 #908879

Hi Sukunag,

You can’t buy from any of their websites as the country to select (e.g. passport country) will be limited in quite some cases. But it should work for you on their World website: https://www.raileurope -world.com/deals/.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 April 2019 at 5:59:27 #908880

Hi Wira,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Glad to hear it worked out for you. Yes, this promotion works on any of their websites, and they have many!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2019 at 6:08:49 #908881

Hi Arno,

Indeed, I have been checking this wonderful website for over 6 months and plan our schedule accordingly.

We are planning to visit for 10 days in early June this year.

Thanks again,

Wira

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2019 at 0:08:47 #908882

Thanks Arno. One more question: can Rail Euro add child below 16 years old after purchasing the pass? The reason I am asking this because one of my child’s passport is expiring and has been sent for renewal. To buy the pass it requires to enter passport number. Can I enter child’s old/expiring passport number at the time of purchase? If none of these options are possible then I guess I will have to take family card at the Zurich airport station upon arrival. How long does it take to get family card at the station?

Thanks again.

twooldgoats
    Participant
    20 posts
    15 April 2019 at 2:37:24 #908883

Arno, thanks for the link to the international site. Our total for two 3-day 1st class passes was nowhere near enough to qualify for the $100 discount on the US site, but by going thru your link we got 50 euros off our order which totaled 652 euros (just 2 euros over the minimum to qualify). It paid to wait on a promotion.

Thanks again.

Jim

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 April 2019 at 6:54:08 #908884

Hi Sukunag,

Do you mean the Swiss Travel Pass? That pass is completely filled out when you receive it through e-mail. All you have to do it print it, and you can’t change what’s on there. You can best order your passes when you have the new passport number. If there’s no time for that, you can also order the adult passes online and get the Swiss Family Card at any staffed station in Switzerland. That will take a few to 30 minutes, depending on the queue.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Spring Sale €80 or $100 off rail passes/tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.