St. Gall, a.k.a Sankt Gallen and good Bratwurst

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
May 10, 2018 - 10:54 PM

I've commented periodically on St. Gall...Sankt Gallen ....and decided I'd agglomerate comments and images. This is not exactly a trip report, but , to make it suitable for this section of the fora, I can truthfully say that it is based on a visit on May 23, 2017.

From Wiki-

<<"St. Gallen or traditionally St Gall, in German sometimes Sankt Gallen is a Swiss town and the capital of the canton of St. Gallen. It evolved from the hermitage of Saint Gall, founded in the 7th century. Today, it is a large urban agglomeration (with around 160,000 inhabitants) and represents the center of eastern Switzerland.">>

Saint Gall - Gallus - was one of several Irish monks who proselytized in the German-speaking regions the middle ages.

If I have the time when I am in Zürich or the Ostschweiz, I like to ride over to St. Gall to have lunch at Weinstube zum Baümli, a 500 year old restaurant on the first floor of a building in the old town. For those of us from the USA, it is the second floor.

www.weinstube-baeumli.ch/

The Swiss are fond of Weisswurst- typically veal sausages - that are white, not brown.

I am too.

The most famous brand name is:

St. Galler OLMA-Bratwurst.

So, I go to St. Gall to have one or two.They are best accompanied by Rösti...particularly good hash-browns if done correctly, and they do them correctly at zum Baümli. Pictures attached.

While I'm there, I like to walk around the old town (die Altstadt) and the pictures in the next post reflect a nice sunny day in May, before the tourist swarm has arrived.

Because we are limited to 10 images per post, I'll post in two sets. First, the important ones...the food.

I am definitely not one of those people who photograph their food and send pictures to everyone. However, in this case, it is justified.. I think.

A second post will show some of the old town.

I invite others to add to this report. I intend to do so as I collect more relevant information.

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 10, 2018 - 11:07 PM by Slowpoke
Please login to see the attached documents
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
May 10, 2018 - 11:14 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Old Town of Skt Gallen on May 23, 2017.

It took me a bit of time to post these. Most were taken with a wide angle lens, which tends to introduce a perspective distortion. The buildings lean inwards toward each other at the tops.

Because I did not want to leave a false impression that the old buildings were all tilted, i corrected that distortion, mostly.

To illustrate the problem, I included one image at Gallusstrasse 20, with no tilt-correction, as well as the corrected one.

Slowpoke

Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
8865 posts
expert &
May 11, 2018 - 4:01 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks for the report/write-up Slowpoke!

Always so appreciated, especially for St. Gallen where we don't have too many (any) details on the website yet.

Cheers!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
May 11, 2018 - 4:56 PM in reply to Lucas

This website is quite good on things to do in St. Gall:

www.thecrazytourist.co m/15-best-things-st-gallen-switzerland/

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
May 11, 2018 - 8:17 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas-

here is a link you could have added. ;-)

Something nice to close to Appenzell and easily reached from St. Gall.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/ebenalp-appenzell-from-zurich-day-trip

Slowpoke

Lucas
Lucas
8865 posts
expert &
May 12, 2018 - 5:12 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Haha. Yes, I should have thought of that one.

Madly driving around British Columbia these days and working at night after 10 hour drives....I'm a little sleepy!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018