Trip Val Bregaglia from St Moritz at 16:30?

Trip Val Bregaglia from St Moritz at 16:30?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
traveler000
traveler000
9 posts
Jul 12, 2017 - 12:33 AM

hello

I will arrive in St Moritz via Bernina Express bus then train on 30/08/17 around 16:30. Is a bus ride through Val Bragaglia and back, on the same day, worth it (3.5hrs)? We plan to stop only at Soglio for 1/2 hr for photos. Is this drive beautiful enough for a 3.5 hour journey or are we better off just exploring St Moritz? Should we stop at other villages that would be considered prettier? Could we travel a shorter distance and experience the beauty of the valley just the same?

Thank you, Traveler000

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1186 posts
top member
Jul 12, 2017 - 3:29 AM in reply to traveler000

Hi Traveler000, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I will arrive in St Moritz via Bernina Express bus then train on 30/08/17 around 16:30. Is a bus ride through Val Bragaglia and back, on the same day, worth it (3.5hrs)?

Well, that would definitely be a very long day, but in the end it's a personal choice. It is certainly a beautiful trip, especially going down the Maloja Pass.

If you arrive in St Moritz at 16:30, you will have missed the 16:15 bus to Soglio, and the next one departs at 17:15, getting you to Soglio at 18:45.

>> We plan to stop only at Soglio for 1/2 hr for photos.

If you arrive in Soglio at 18:45, the next departure would be at 19:27. Reservations for the 19.27 bus from Soglio to Promontogno are compulsory, and must be made at least 2 hours beforehand. I doubt it would be because of expected crowds, but more likely that if they have no reservations, they don't operate the service (just a guess on my part).

>> Is this drive beautiful enough for a 3.5 hour journey or are we better off just exploring St Moritz?

It is a beautiful journey, and Soglio is a lovely village with superb views, but it is a long trip for so late in the day. In the end though, it's a personal choice. St Moritz is a very attractive town.

>> Should we stop at other villages that would be considered prettier?

Many of the villages in this area are picturesque. None compare with Soglio for historical integrity, ambience and stunning views.

Sils Maria is a pretty village, and very close to St Moritz (about 20 minutes by bus).

>> Could we travel a shorter distance and experience the beauty of the valley just the same?

In my opinion, you would need to go at least as far as Promontogno. If you go that far, you may as well go the rest of the way to Soglio (12 minutes).

If you are interested, I have written a trip report about my trip to Soglio from St Moritz:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-bregaglia-valley-soglio

There are also some photos of the Maloja Pass attached to my post (Locarno to St. Moritz) of Nov 3, 2016 - 1:51 PM on the page below. On the same page are some photos of Sils Maria attached to my post of Nov 5, 2016 - 6:00 AM.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

Alpenrose

Arno
Arno
9617 posts
expert &
Jul 12, 2017 - 9:46 AM

Hi Traveler000,

Personally I would not do this. Apart from the somewhat bigger towns like St. Moritz, Switzerland pretty much closes down after 6 PM. Shops close, most cable cars stop operating, public transport frequency slows down, and there's just not much activity anymore. The evenings are a time to enjoy the immediate area or a restaurant. In St. Moritz you could have a stroll around the lake, for example.

Last modified on Jul 12, 2017 - 9:47 AM by Arno
traveler000
traveler000
9 posts
Jul 12, 2017 - 7:22 PM

Dear Alpenrose:

I truly appreciate your detailed answers to ALL my questions!! They were extremely helpful and I'm grateful for your time. Thank you sooo much!

Dear Arno

Thank you for your wisdom as well. As much as I want to experience all of Switzerland in one trip, I think I will stop and smell the roses in St Moritz 😀.

traveler000
traveler000
9 posts
Jul 13, 2017 - 1:01 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

Dear Alpenrose

Really enjoyed your trip report and photos also. Thanks again!!

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1186 posts
top member
Jul 13, 2017 - 5:55 AM in reply to traveler000

>> Really enjoyed your trip report and photos also.

Thanks! Perhaps you will get to make the trip from St Moritz to Soglio on a future trip!

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jul 13, 2017 - 5:55 AM by Alpenrose666

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017