Train trip St Moritz to Lugano on 25 Dec. 2017

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 7:10:04 #813833

Hi!

I will be traveling to Switzerland over the Christmas week and will be taking a train trip. I want to get from st moritz to Lugano on the Christmas Day but I am not sure if there are any transportation on that day. Can anybody help me? FYI I bought the Swiss pass.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 9:24:27 #872973

Hi Tracec, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Please have a look at the Swiss timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. If you fill out St. Moritz to Lugano, make sure to force it to show the Bernina route, by entering Tirano in the via box.

For more information about the Bernina Express please visit this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress.

Have a nice trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 10:07:03 #872974

Hi Chantal! Thank you so much for your speedy reply! I managed to get possible trains that I could take through your help. I did not see any Bernini Express in the route from St Moritz to Tirano but they do have panorama coaches as what was described in the Bernina Express page. Does this mean that Bernina Express does not run on that day? I tried using the Rhb site as well to check for the timings but I could only get Bernina Express from Tirano to Thusis and have to change to bus in the suggested route which might be too much of a hassle.

Another question is that is the panorama coaches on the regular trains compulsory to reserve? And do the panorama coaches really make a big difference?

Thanks!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 11:43:19 #872975

Hello Tracec,

The Bernina Express from St. Moritz is not running that day, but you can board it in Pontresina (10 minutes by local train). The train is indicated as BEX in the time table. But any regional train is following the same route.

Yes, you’ll have to reserve the panorama coaches. If you use the Swiss timetable you can also see for which trains you need to make a reservation. It’s indicated with an ‘R’.

You will have unrestricted views from the panorama coaches. I think that it will add to the experience.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 15:18:57 #872976

Hi Tracec,

>> I will be traveling to Switzerland over the Christmas week and will be taking a train trip. I want to get from st moritz to Lugano on the Christmas Day but I am not sure if there are any transportation on that day. Can anybody help me? FYI I bought the Swiss pass.

If you take a train from St Moritz to Tirano, there is no linking Bernina Express bus to Lugano at this time of year. To get to Lugano from Tirano, you would need to take some Italian trains, which are not covered by your Swiss Travel Pass.

The most direct way of getting from St Moritz to Lugano on 25 December is on the scenic Palm Express PostBus, which is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. There is just one departure for the day, from outside St Moritz railway station at 12:20. Reservations are free and compulsory, and can be made online here:

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/palm-express

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2017 at 19:06:41 #872977

Hi Chantal,

Thank you so much for clearing my doubts! I really appreciate it. As per what Aplhenrose said, I checked with the train providers and the train from Tirano back is not covered within the Travel Pass and thus I will be taking the scenic bus as he suggested.

Thanks you once again for helping to plan my trip! 🙂

tracec

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2017 at 19:11:39 #872978

Hi Alphenrose,

Thank you so much for replying to my question! It was such a great help and I have booked the PalmEdpress as suggested. With that I will be spending a beautiful scenic Christmas trip to Lugano!

Thanks!

tracec

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2017 at 20:05:53 #872979

Enjoy your trip Tracec!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2017 at 2:46:16 #872980

Hi tracec,

>> I have booked the PalmEdpress

Glad you have sorted out your transport for Christmas Day, and I’m sure you will enjoy the Palm Express.

My favourite parts of the trip are the descent down the many hairpin bends of the Maloja Pass, the road through Menaggio, where you will be amazed at the skill of the bus driver in getting that big bus around some very tight bends, and the views of Lake Como as you climb high out of Menaggio.

There is a 20-minute break at Chiavenna railway station from 13:50 to 14:10, where you can buy refreshments and use the toilet. However, there was little on offer in the way of suitable food for lunch when I did that trip, so if you can manage to take your own lunch with you, that might be a good idea.

The best place to get out at in Lugano is Lugano railway station (“Lugano, Stazione Nord”), rather than the end of the line, which is “Lugano, Autosilo Balestra”. The station is on a hill overlooking the town and lake, and there is a funicular (as well as buses) to take you from the station down to the centre of town.

How long are you spending in Lugano, and what are your plans?

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Train trip St Moritz to Lugano on 25 Dec. 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.