St Moritz to Tirano via Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2018 at 14:01:12 #818778

Greetings everyone,

I would like to make a day trip from St Moritz to Tirana. My route is from St. Moritz to Tirano and then back to St. Moritz on the same day (return). I would like to reserve 2 seats on the BEX on 20th Nov 2018. However, on the SBB website, it doesn’t show any BEX train operating for that day. So how do I have access to the BEX timetable in that case?

However, I am able to reserve seats for the BEX on the RhB site for that particular day. Should i just go ahead and reserve from the RhB site? Also, I am not able to choose the timing for the train. Does it matter? When I try to reserve, the timings automatically appear. Is it a must for me to follow the timing displayed?

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance

Neha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2018 at 14:32:37 #898268

Hi Neha,

The Bernina Express doesn’t depart from St. Moritz that day, hence why you don’t see it on the timetable. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    The Rhb site is not showing me the Bernina Express train either – just regional trains. If you search for Pontresina to Tirano the BEX panorama train does appear though.

You can take any train that day that you want to Tirano as it follows the same route as the Bernina Express.

But if you want to be on the Bernina Express train itself, you’ll have to pick it up at Pontresina at 10:22 (it isn’t far from St. Moritz).

Reservations can be made on the Rhb site or here: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2018 at 1:02:27 #898269

You don’t need to use the Bernina Express from St Moritz. All trains on the Bernina line run the same route and the Bernina railway runs from St Moritz to Tirano. Just turn up in good time at St Moritz station and board whichever Bernina line train you wish.

Here’s a paste of my standard ‘FAQ’ about the Bernina:

You do not have to travel on the Bernina Express, any local/regional train is free to board in Graubünden if you have the right valid pass. If you are accessing hiking opportunities, local trains are better, the Bernina Express (and Glacier Express) are aimed at tourists travelling the whole way on the train and looking at the views rather than hopping up and down between hikes.

It is important to understand the difference between the ‘Bernina Express’ and the ‘Bernina Railway’. The Bernina Railway is the (originally independent) railway line from St Moritz to Tirano – it became part of the RhB in 1943.

It has regular ‘normal’ train services.

The Bernina Express runs through once a day from Chur, but the line from Chur as far as Samedan/Pontresina/St Moritz is the Albula railway not the Bernina railway. The Albula railway is also superb as a jumping off point for hikes.

• The thread ‘St Moritz to Tirano via Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.